port     22;

authgroup NSOAUTH;

device-type {

cli {

ned-id     cisco-ios-xr;

protocol     ssh;

state {

admin-state unlocked;

Note that the device is reachable via IP and the authentication credentials are good.  The device to which I am trying to sync is an IOSXRv 6.1.2 virtual router. 

When attempting to discover that device, I receive the following error:

Failed to connect to device X: connection refused: ned_external_error ned_connect_cli: unknown device

Am I doing something incorrectly for this device type?  Note that I am able so successfully discover, sync-to and configure IOS and Juniper devices, though not this IOSXRv 6.1.2 device.  Also note that I am using NSO version 4.4

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did it work out with a modern NED? The 3.0.1 is ancient. You must have used the one that ships with NSO in order to make the NSO examples run. It's deliberately very old, so that it wouldn't be usable for real use cases for users that don't have an IOS XR NED license.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Seems the NED doesn't recognize the device. Which XR NED version are you running? Could you upgrade to the latest one and try again? I guess this is the one you want https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-75271

I'm using package version 3.0.1 for cisco-iosxr NED

I believe that the problem is with the NED itself.  I believe that you're correct in that it needs to be updated in my environment.  Note that when I used the exact same discovery configuration, however the target was a physical device running XR 5.2.0, everything worked perfectly.

Did it work out with a modern NED? The 3.0.1 is ancient. You must have used the one that ships with NSO in order to make the NSO examples run. It's deliberately very old, so that it wouldn't be usable for real use cases for users that don't have an IOS XR NED license.

Yes!  I updated the NED to version 6.2.1 and everything worked very well!

Thanks for the help!!