cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CWDM media type for PtP

bunker
Level 1
Level 1

In a previous thread a week ago I mentiond setting up a CWDM between a couple of switches(3550). I have received the CWDM modules (1530nm) and am awaiting the cables and VOA. I put in the gibs into the switches and they are recognized howere I am confused with the media type displayed shown as apposed to what is in the documentation.

The media type I get for the CWDM gbic is "media type is ZX" Is this correct?

According to this link: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2948/inst_gd/05modcnf.htm

Coarse Wave Division Multiplexing (CWDM) fiber-optic 1000BASE-X GBIC

should't the media type show up as 1000base-X or X like the T does in 1000base-T or is it supposed to show up as ZX since it is fiber? Am I splitting hairs here? I just want to make sure I got the correct Gbics, thay passed the error disable test for valid CWDM gbics, but I wanted to make sure I did not receive a WS-G5487= with a GBIC-1530= sticker on the gbics.

Any info would be helpful.

PS anyone know how to put it into loopback or other tests? Does the CWDM gbics have internal circuity to loop to get into an UP/UP mode like ethernet does by setting the keepalive to 0?

Regards..

2 Replies 2

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

The output that you are seeing is right. here's what i could see on my switch connected to a ZX GBIC:

link type is force-up, media type is ZX

I want to thank everybody here for their help. I was able to pick up a couple of CWDM modules, some VOAs and the proper cabling so it all worked out perfectly. The VOAs are cool so for testing of link failures or intermittent conditions you can just move the dial until the link becomes unstable.

Thanks again.