cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7960 Rebooting in the middle of calls

Live2 Bicycle
Level 3
Level 3

I have an end user with a 7960 phone that periodically reboots itself in the middle of a call several times a day. I have looked at the cisco WS-C3524-PWR-XL and I can see the port resetting:

Jan 18 09:40:22: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to down

Jan 18 09:40:23: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to down

Jan 18 09:40:26: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to up

Jan 18 09:40:27: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/13, changed state to up

Not having any experiance with Cisco phones what is a good way to trouble shoot the phone rebooting? What are things I can look at to see if it is the phone or POE Switch?

1 Reply 1

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Here are a couple of ways to at least start.

1) Change out the phone to another one and program the new phone with the old phones DN. See if problem persists.

2) Put problem phone on a known-good port on the switch and see if the problem follows the phone.

If it is the port then patch the drop into a different port on the switch and make any needed changed on the switch (VLAN, etc)

3) You can also put a power supply on the phone (if you have one) since you are using POE and see if it still reboots. If it no longer reboots but just looses connectivity then this points to the switch as the culprit.

These steps should get you some quick and dirty answers.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to rate all replies