cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Busyout MGCP PRI ports

tmaurello_2
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to busyout unused channels on a MGCP PRI (CMM module) for maintenance? If work needs to happen on the Catalyst 6500 switch, I want to be able to busyout the PRI before rebooting the switch. I don't want to kick off active calls. I want to wait until the calls terminate and then busyout the ports so there are no new active calls.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've used the ds0 busyout on PRIs (H323 and MGCP) when I've had to busyout 1 timeslot temporarily (DSP hardware problems) and did not want to change call manager settings while isolating the issue.

Just was giving different options incase you did not want to change the call manager config while doing your switch maint.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

s.forrest
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There is a way to busy out channels on an MGCP PRI gateway, I have seen this before when using partial PRI. I believe if you look in service parameters, under MGCP (not sure of the exact desription) you are offered the option to change up to 5 MGCP gateways. In these boxes you have to define the host name and use zero's and one's (00000111111) to enable / disable channels. Look at the help menu on this page and you should be able to work it out.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hi

The parameter being referred to here is "b-channel maintenance status", it's a parameter on the CallManager service.

If you use this you also need to check "enable status poll" on the gateway page.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

The Service parameter requires a reset of gateway to take effect so that would drop all calls and reduce your active timeslots/channels.

If you telnet or console into the CMM module, under the controller t1 interface you can do a 'ds0 busyouy ' to busyout a timeslot without resetting the gateway or making changes to ccm configuration.

This will busyout the timeslot right then though.

On 3745/other model routers, the ds0 busyout command has a hard/soft at end to control busyout so you can force it busy immediately or soft busies it out when no active call exists. The hard/soft option does not exist on CMM IOS for some reason.

Another alternative you could do, is adjust your route groups and remove the gateway T1 port from the route group when you do this maint. This will at least prevent further outbound calls going out that T1. or just chnage the route pattern to block calls temporarily if there is only one T1 PRI.

Thanks for all of the responses.

The "b-channel maintenance status" service parameter seems to be the best option here. You only need to reset the gateway once, in order to check the "Enable Status Poll". Once that is done, the gateway never needs to be reset again. All you need to do is update the service parameter and the gateway will poll for it's status.

Since this is a PRI with a pri-group, I don't think the "ds0 busyout" commany applies here.

Adjsuting the route groups ro route lists requires a resets of the affected gateways, so that doesn't make it too graceful.

I also came across the "isdn service b_channel" command which seems to do the same as the ds0 busyout command, but for PRIs. I haven't tested this option, so I cannot confirm it's functionality.

Thanks again.

I've used the ds0 busyout on PRIs (H323 and MGCP) when I've had to busyout 1 timeslot temporarily (DSP hardware problems) and did not want to change call manager settings while isolating the issue.

Just was giving different options incase you did not want to change the call manager config while doing your switch maint.

Good to know.

The command syntax on CCO said it only worked with ds0 groups in the controller config.

How do you select which b-channel maintenance status schedule goes to a gateway?

You can configure up to 5 schedules, but I don't see how to assign a schedule to a gateway in CCM 4.1.2.

Hi

You set which gateway the parameter applies to as part of the parameter - this is in the context help.

The actual parameter you enter should look like

S1/ds1-0/1@2611-4=111100000000000000000000

(made up example but you get the idea) - the first part before the = you should copy from the gateway config page as this has to be exact. If you just whack in a bitmask with no endpoint ID it will do nothing at all...

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!