Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller-id Brokern on T1-CAS FXO

aapedraza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We changed our router from an IAD-2421FXS running 12.2T11 with incoming T1-CAS FXO to a 1760 router with a MFT-T1 running 12.3T11 and our caller-id info dissapeared.

Configuration of incoming FXO ports is identical to the IAD but the caller id works only on the iad and not on the 1760. I have changed the MFT-T1 card for a spare one and it still does not work.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Take a look at these troubleshooting docs on Caller id issues. Might help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a9a49.shtml

dweiner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

T1 CAS doesn't support caller ID. Actually, with feature gorup D it does, but this was not very well accepted in the industry and CCM doesn't support it. If you have FXO ports you need to use H.323 in order to get caller id and need to state 'caller-id enable type 1' on the voice-port.

I understand that but why was it working with the IAD? The setup that I had is as follows: Telco AAL2-T1-->IAD2421-1T1 (TRUNKED) --> IAD221-16FXO (caller id worked) The new setup is: Telco AAL2-T1 --> IAD24211-T1 (TRUNKED) --> C1760 W/MFT-T1 (caller id not working)

Thank you for your help

Maybe I am the only one confused here, but it looks like you had (and still have) a IAD2421-1t1 that has the voice trunk plugged into it - what you had done before was trunk each individual channel of that T1 over to another IAD that had analog fxs ports in it, into which you had plugged either phones, or key system, something like that? And in that old configuration, you saw the caller id displayed on those devices. Now, you removed the IAD with the analog ports, and have a 1760, with a T1 connection to some phone equipment, PBX or key system? Is that right? And, is there a CallManager anywhere in this picture, or IP phones, or is this just straight ip telephony?

Mary Beth

Yes, we were running ITS 2.1 with 7960 phones off the second IAD. That IAD was connected via T1-cas fxo loop start to the IAD that is connected to the telco. We swapped the IAD running ITS with the 1760 router becuase we wanted to run Callmanager express which has more features than ITS. We used to have caller-id functioning in the 7960s without a problem.At the very beginning of our setup (2 years go) we had only analog phones & faxes running (Hence the IAD-2421-16FXS, but latter we updated to ip phones on the same IAD. Since the IAD is old and can only run ITS 2.1 an not CME 3.1 we deceided to swap it out for the 1760. I know it is confusing but the fact is that caller id coming from a T1-CAS FXS router into a T1-CAS FXO router did have caller id name and number info on it. It seems that it is not supported but it did work.

Alberto

Well, I think part of the confusion is that most of the time, at least in my experience, T1 CAS links are E&M wink or immediate start connections to the PSTN switch or a customer PBX. Wink is the only one supported by CM MGCP. And that is where the definite limitation with caller-id exists, the only E&M support for caller id is in feature group d. I have seen the occasional toll bypass setup using T1 CAS fxo to fxs connection trunks, say between two PBX/key systems doing OPX (off premise extensions), so the remote devices look as if thay are attached directly to the first pbx. But those are nailed up trunks, voice stuff is just tunneled right through, no digit interpretation or call routing. So, if you have ip phones, and have had ip phones working, this is a little different. The first IAD, with the connection to the PSTN is still there, and if he was getting and passing caller id before, and you did not change his config, then it would seem that it should still be attempting to do that. Possibly there is something that used to be default in the old ITS/IAD that you replaced that is no longer default, but can be tweaked. Maybe if we looked at all three configs - the two original working IADs and now the new 1760, something would come to mind. Or, maybe it is not worth the time to pursue it, and you are willing to live with it. A person has to pick their battles with this stuff ; ) Mary Beth

Yes, you are 100% right. I put the old IAD back in service, caller-id returned to normal and everyone in the office is happy. I spent half a day again today trying to make it work to no avail. It could be so many different things that it would almost be impossible to figure it out without proper testing equipment. I tried changing the ring number before answer, the caller-id attenuation on the fxs port, you name it. All without success. Thank you for your help. Alberto

I did run across an old bug, CSCdu74485, that is most likely not your problem, but gives something to try if you decide to try again and did not look at this:

Caller ID (CLID) information delivered to a T1/E1 CAS FXO GroundStart voice-port

will not be collected by IOS. The "debug vpm all" output will in part state:

*Mar 1 00:02:56.439: [1/0:1(1)] get_fxo_caller_id:Caller ID receive failed. parseCallerIDString:no data.

This problem has been observed on a 3600-series router with a T1/E1 NM-HDV

packet voice network module; it is expected to occur on the 2600-series platform

as well.

You could try the debug, and at least see if the new router thinks it is receiving it.

Good luck!

Mary Beth