cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Callmanager 3.3(3)sr4a - disable New Call ability while caller is on hold

m.maddox
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to disable a line's ability to make a new call while another call is on hold?

Let's say I have 1 line. I have an active call on that line that I put on hold. Right now, I'm able to place a new call on this 1 line while someone is on hold. I have a situation where I'd like to disable that ability.

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Create a new Softkey template from which you remove "NewCall" softkey option under "On Hold"call state. Apply this template to the phone and reset the phone.

Thanks for the info but this did not solve my problem. I'll try to explain better. I have a shared DN -- Device A and Device B both have this line. A call comes in, Device A receives the call, then places the call on hold; The user on Device B decides to place a call-- not paying attention to the caller on hold, picks up the handset which opens a new line, this "traps" the caller that is on hold until the new call is complete.

Is there any way that we can inhibit the opening of a new line if a caller is on hold on a shared DN? Maybe this is by design? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank you so much for any help!

Michelle

If you disable Call Waiting on the line it should do what you need. I dissable call wating on all system below 4.X as there is issue with transfering calls when there are two calls on one line.

Call waiting is disabled. That was the first thing I checked. On your phone, if you have a caller on hold, can you just pickup the handset and you have the ability to make an outgoing call using the same line?

anderson-david
Level 3
Level 3

i do not think there is a way to do what you want as this is needed for transfering calls etc, one solution would be to give user a and user b different primary DN's and have the shared DN on another line. this way each user has a line to make calls on without disturbing the shared line.

hope this helps

That is what I suspected but had to ask if there was a way. I appreciate your advice. Thank you for your time.

We just ran across this issue, and there was an old bug that a coworker of mine had found, cscdu78354, and it described adding a boolean system parameter to disable this - yikes - but bug was for 3.0, so I just went on my 3.3.2 lab machine and checked service parameters, and under the Call Manager service parameters, end of phone section, there is a flag for "shared line new call softkey disabled", default is false. That might be worth a try, setting to true!

Mary Beth

Well, I guess that is just the older way of doing what cderen suggested above with the phone template change, which seems to be the only way to get rid of the new call button in 4.x, and you are still back to the problem of them having dial tone when they pick up the phone.

Never mind..

Mary Beth

Yeah, I did as you suggested but to no avail. I really do appreciate the input though! They will just have to pay attention and take a look at the display if they don't want their private DN on the first line which would solve this situation.

anderson-david
Level 3
Level 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800945a6.shtml

this is the link on the Cisco website to do what you want

hope this helps

Dave