cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7940 Setup w/ a 7914 Module

cjgambill
Level 1
Level 1

I know this configuration is not supported but someone told me that they had setup a 7914 expansion module to work on a 7940 phone. Has anyone else tried this and gotten it to work?

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

When you use a 7914 with a 7960, you have a setting for Expansion modules on the 7960 configuration page. You dont have a similar setting on the 7940. So I am not sure how this will work..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

just an idea but not tested yet, can't you manually create the 7940 with mac-addres with a 7960 template to sort of trick CM to think it is a 7960?

both 40 and 60 uses the same fw load

Anthony,

I think that might work. I may test that today some time. In fact the 7940/7960 (if you open the face plate) is exactly the same h/w. Just that the front buttons on the face plate show up as 2 on the 7940, even though there is provision for 6 buttons.

LOL

PS: note that you may not call Cisco for support as this will be an unsupported config.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I think the CM knows the difference and the phone won't load if you have the wrong type selected.

Tested this setup on CM and a 7940 phone. The phone does not register as a 7960, as it keeps getting error message "Registration rejected"

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I received the same message also.