cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable moh for certain devices

kseraphine
Level 5
Level 5

How can I have moh or tone played based on the holding device (that is, device that is initiating the hold). To be specific, one department wants callers from the PSTN to hear moh when placed on hold and another wants PSTN callers to hear tone. Calls coming in from the PSTN use the gateway's MRGL so I can disable moh for all calls by assigning a device pool that doesn't include a MRGL but I need to be more granular than that.

The best I've been able to come up with is to change the default user/network audio source service parameter to an id number that doesn't exist. Then, if the holding device doesn't have a audio source set, the held party will hear tone. The downside to this is that it fills the event log with MOH OutofResources errors.

9 Replies 9

simon.machielse
Level 1
Level 1

You also could create 2 device pools. One with a MediaResourseGroup/MoH device and one withouth the MoH setting in the device pool. Now attach the phones to the correct device pool to hear music or the beep.

Simon

That doesn't seem to work and, with my understanding of they way MoH is played, I don't think it should.

A device in a NoMoH device pool will hear tone if put on hold but when the device places a call on hold, the other end won't necessarily hear tone.

The MoH server used is determined by the held party, which seems to be the gateway for incoming PSTN calls. Denying a MoH resource to the phone that initiates the hold doesn't do what I want. The only thing I can change on the phone that initiates the hold is the audio source.

If I am missing something please let me know

thanks

I don't think there is a way to do. I think tone on hold only occurs when there is an error with the MoH file.

An alternate solution might be to create a MoH that emulates the 'beep beep' of the tone on hold and assign that as the MoH source.

Kinda cheesy, but it might accomplish the end goal.

Cheers,

Vance

It's important to note that it's the device placing the call on hold that determines which MOH audio source is going to be heard. So, using your example of a call coming from the PSTN, and then the IP handset places the caller on hold, the MOH specified in the device pool for that phone instructs the gateway to connect the audio stream to the MOH server.

Hope this helps.

Correct.

I can control which audio source is played but there doesn't seem to be a good way to disable moh based on the device that places the call on hold.

You might be able to rig something up with multicast - if you multicast-enable the audio source that the MOH desiring group wants to use, and set up a MRGL to use multicast, and assign the gateway to use that, it will only be able to listen to multicast streams. Then you assign a non-multicast-enabled audio source to the phones belonging to the group that wants the gateway to hear tone.

Mary Beth

I think that will probably work. My guess is that it will also result in a ton of MoHOutOfResources errors in the event log which makes it a fairly inelegant solution.

Thanks

folks,

What would be the cleanest way to disable MOH all together without messing with the MRGL.

Thanks

Off the top of my head I would say the easiest way would be to go to the properties of your MoH server and set the run flag to No.