cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Cisco ATA 186

dragonkind
Level 1
Level 1

I have both a Davolink DV-102 and a Cisco ATA 186. Using the same network. When I dial out on the Davolink I get very good quality and very little delay. When I dial out on the Cisco I get poor quality on the recieving end and longer delay. Yet on recieving a call on the Cisco the quality is better while still poor. I am running over DSL DirecWay Sat.

Does any one know what ajustments can be made to the Cisco 186 to improve quality?

Ronnie

16 Replies 16

sharka
Level 1
Level 1

sounds like you have the ata-186 in default mode! It runs a codec of g711. RxCodec and TxCodec—Configure the codec ID.

G.723.1—Codec ID 0

G.711a—Codec ID 1

G.711u—codec ID 2

G.729a—codec ID 3

Satellite will give you delay!! Try to find a way to use QoS in your set up! If you are getting delay longer than 150ms around 200ms. It's called Satillite effect (no pun!). Fair-queue, and even RTP header-compression will help. All this is going to be on your router!

I am using G.723.1

The delay that I am getting isn't Satillite. there is a delay via the Satillite but that is managable.

I know this because I have two phones hooked up. Only one is hooked up to the Cisco. the other is hooked up to a ATA Davolink 102. with the Davoling the conversation is clear and the delay very little. with the Cisco the the conversation is not as clear and the delay is slightly longer. If I could ajust the Cisco to preform equal to the Davolink I would be exstatic. I asume there must be some setting that can be ajusted. If the Davolink can do it the cisco should be able to do it better.

mcotrone
Level 3
Level 3

Also remember that the ATA-186 device only allows one of the two ports to run at G729 and by default that port is port 1. That bit me a few times :)

Here is a snippet from a doc I wrote for a customer on configuring the ATA for port 1 G729.

Configuring an ATA to Support G.729 on Port 1 (Refer to diagram 2.)

A. Open a web browser and enter the following URL

Example: http://ata-ip-address/dev

B. An ATA configuration option menu will appear and make the following modifications (Reference the next page for a screen shot example)

C. UIPassword – Change to the ATA password

D. Static Route – Change to 0.0.0.0

E. StaticIP – Change to 0.0.0.0

F. StaticNetMask – Change to 0.0.0.0

G. AudioMode – Change to 0x00360034

H. CodecName – Change to G729, PCMU

I. Click on the apply button on the bottom of the web page

J. Then click to reset the ATA

HTH,

Mike

The company that I use Thought that the codec G723 was the best for use with the Satillite system. As it uses only about 6k.

Which is also the codec I am using on the davolink.

Sorry about that I missed your G.723 specs.

http://ip-of-ata/dev

Under CodecName change it to G723,G729,PCMU

Save and then reset.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks

Mike

Sorry,

I forgot to add also check:

LBRCodec is 0

PrfCodec is 0

Remember that you are still held to the same rules as G729 (low bit codec) with only being able to use Port 1(default) for G723!

Thanks!

Mike

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/prod_release_note09186a00801097ff.html#39537

right now both rxcodec and txcodec are set to G723.1 are you saying that one of these needs to be set to G729?

All other changes you mentioned were already set.

right now both rxcodec and txcodec are set to G723.1 are you saying that one of these needs to be set to G729?

All other changes you mentioned were already set.

You mentioned in your above note that the Audio should be (G. AudioMode – Change to 0x00360034) The current setting is 0x00150015. not being sure miself. Is ther e a big difference in these two settings? I'm note sure of there translation.

Will this affect the quality of the call?

Sorry for then confusion, in my original post I was thinking G729. So for g723.1 here is an audio mode that will enable all lowbit codecs. The default 00150015 only allows for G711 according to the bit layout in the doc.

Sorry I didn't put it in the last attachment. I would go ahead and try 001100011 for the audiomode.

00110011 breaks down:

Bit 0 (0) = VAD Disabled

Bit 1 (0) = Enable all low bit codecs including G.711

Bit 2 (0) = Disbale CED Detection for fax mode

Bit 3-15 = Reserved

Bit0 Bit15

ATA's are not the most friendliest of configs. There really isn't any buffer tuning bits in the connectmode also. Hopefully the g723 codec will work for you.

Let me know,

Mike

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800c4d1f.html#60411

0x00110011 is a regretion.

For what ever the reason removing the Fax tone detect was a regretion. The recieving phone was even worse and the sending phone was dead no audio. I put it back to 0x00150015. It seems that the only difference in the two is the fax tone detect. Can't understand why this would change things

Know changeing this to 0x00140014 so that it is always in band (5th bit) helps clear it up a little better. Would it be better to put it always out of band?

Wow, that is weird.Usually with anything relating to DTMF or passthrough I always configure for out-of-band... Not sure in this case.

I am with you on this one since I do not see how that would affect it. I would open a TAC case to see if there are some hidden bits that aren't specified in the Doc. Cisco Devlopers love to do put those in and not tell the public :)

Good luck!! Hopefully the quality improves..

BTW, what is your round trip delay on this link?

Thanks

Mike

My round trip delay from my house to my house. is about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 seconds. Calling the USA, (As I am operating out of Honduras Central America), the delay on my Davolink is only about 300 to 400 ms. on the Cisco it is about 800 to 1500 ms.

Calling digital to digital the cisco comes accros ok, but when you call land line is when It looses it's edge.

I wish I could tell what is set up different between the davolink and the cisco. The davolink on calling the USA is almost equal to land line calling here. Simply because in the land line here there is a little delay.

Just can't seem to get the cisco to preform equal.

Is it possible for both ATA186 ports to use G.729? If so, what is the correct configuration?

Thanks