cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to Unity, Need help in User Template for Notifications.

jsalomon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

I am just getting my feet wet with Unity 12.5, I need to figure out how to add the users email address to the SMTP and HTML notifications, I started migrating a small group and had to manually add them. 

thanks,

John

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

Is there a specific reason you want to add notifications to every user?  Without knowing more...

1. Would unified messaging (integration with Exchange/O365) be an option for you?  This would cause all voicemail for a particular user to be delivered to email without setting notification options, and synchronizes message status between email and voicemail system.

2. If you do need to set notification devices for every user, the best way to do that would be in bulk import or update.  You would need to set the following optional attributes in your import file or update these fields in an update file.

PhoneNumber_TextPager1 SmtpAddress_TextPager1 Active_TextPager1
(optional - see note) alias@domain.com 1

Note: I use this field to indicate the callback number to access voicemail.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

Hi, John.

No, there is nothing in Unity that ties the smtp address for notifications to the user's profile attributes.  You can do this in excel with formulas, if the data exists in another field.  Notifications were intended for non-integrated SMTP destinations.

The syntax really depends upon what you have already in your use profiles.  For instance, for instance, my own alias is sknoop, but my email is firstname.lastname@domain.com, so that would not work.  Does the smtp address already exist in the basic information from the user?  I would start by exporting my user database (Tools > Bulk Administration Tool > Export) and see how your CSV data looks.  If there is a field to build smtp addresses from, the excel syntax would be akin to =concatenate(<cell with left side info>,"@domain.com"), or if the email address already exists in your data, then you can just do a copy from that field to the SmtpAddress_HTML1 field.

Another example might be if you have smtp addresses of firstname.lastname@domain.com, you could use the first and last name fields to create a formula in excel.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi.

Is there a specific reason you want to add notifications to every user?  Without knowing more...

1. Would unified messaging (integration with Exchange/O365) be an option for you?  This would cause all voicemail for a particular user to be delivered to email without setting notification options, and synchronizes message status between email and voicemail system.

2. If you do need to set notification devices for every user, the best way to do that would be in bulk import or update.  You would need to set the following optional attributes in your import file or update these fields in an update file.

PhoneNumber_TextPager1 SmtpAddress_TextPager1 Active_TextPager1
(optional - see note) alias@domain.com 1

Note: I use this field to indicate the callback number to access voicemail.

Response Signature

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your response.  Management wants to get the HTML notification for everyone, they didn't like the SMTP notification.

In the To** field is there a way to default that to the user email address, using the HTML Template, as I start importing users, so I don't have to go into everyone's account and add their email address. Or is this something that can be done in the Bulk file, and what would be the syntax?     alias@domain.com  or username@domain.com?

thanks,

John

Hi, John.

No, there is nothing in Unity that ties the smtp address for notifications to the user's profile attributes.  You can do this in excel with formulas, if the data exists in another field.  Notifications were intended for non-integrated SMTP destinations.

The syntax really depends upon what you have already in your use profiles.  For instance, for instance, my own alias is sknoop, but my email is firstname.lastname@domain.com, so that would not work.  Does the smtp address already exist in the basic information from the user?  I would start by exporting my user database (Tools > Bulk Administration Tool > Export) and see how your CSV data looks.  If there is a field to build smtp addresses from, the excel syntax would be akin to =concatenate(<cell with left side info>,"@domain.com"), or if the email address already exists in your data, then you can just do a copy from that field to the SmtpAddress_HTML1 field.

Another example might be if you have smtp addresses of firstname.lastname@domain.com, you could use the first and last name fields to create a formula in excel.

Response Signature

Thank you for the info Stephanie, 

Looks like the Bulk tool will be the way to go.

John