cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC-4FXS/DID - Does DID work?

patsbc
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a fairly complex design for a financial services customer that has 17 branches with existing analog DID trunks to the PSTN and DID number assignemnts. I would like to maintain the existing DID trunks and numbers as they don't warrant a high enough call volume to move to ISDN PRI for digital DID functionality.

Various TAC documentation indicates that the VIC-4FXS/DID will not perform DID on CallManager 3.3. The exact words are "1 VIC-4FXS/DID will not be able to register with Cisco CallManager currently." How should I interpret this? Does this mean I can use it in an H.323 environment, and not MGCP? Or does it mean DID capability is not available period?

If you have experience with the VIC-4FXS/DID module, your comments are appreciated. The URL I referenced is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a008010a40a.html

Thanks in advance.

Pat

2 Replies 2

pbarman
Level 5
Level 5

I would say that it can be used in a h323 gateway, and the h323 gateway registered to CCM. However it cannot be used in mgcp mode where the fxs/did ports have to register to the CCM.

patsbc
Level 1
Level 1

Thought I would post this for reference.

My follow up with TAC and internal engineers indicates that the VIC-4FXS/DID DOES do DID, but only on 1700 series routers. In any other case, you want to use the original VIC-2DID card for other router platforms.

Also, research points towards the card only being usable in H.323 mode in DID mode with CallManager. This however, may not be correct. I wish the internal documentation was more specific as I wasted a bit of time on this one.

Pat