cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Fax software are people using?

joel.moore
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into getting Fax software for intergation into Unity. What are the better third party applications that work with Unity? I have looked at the Cisco recomended ones. Just do not have reference as to which one is better or worse. If anyone could give me some feedback on the different ones that you are using that would be great.

Thank You

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It might be helpful to know what type of faxing you want to be doing... will there be heavy traffic? A lot of inbound vs. outbound or vice versa? What types of features do you need (OCR routing, custom cover pages for various internal groups, billing reports, need to render special files etc...)?

The best low to medium end package I've setup and used is RightFax - they do a nice job, scale well and the price is reasonable. But it's not going to have some of the higher end features of, say, a Fax Sr. or even Faxination (both more pricey and tougher to setup I've found).

Looking mainly for a balance of inbound and outbound, with only 4 fax lines. For really just baisc faxing and archiving. Not looking for anything really extravagant.

In addition to what Jeff mentioned here - Unity is already configured for the message class type used by RightFax as well as other fax products available when Unity version 3.1(5) came out. We are using RightFax 8.0 and we did not have to configure anything in Unity. When you do select a fax product, you can check Unity via the Advanced Settings Tool, "Update message classes Unity considers a fax" and add your fax product's message class if not already there. This is used by Unity for reporting the number of faxes in the user's inbox from the TUI and to redirect fax to a hardcopy fax, if desired.

Regards, Ginger

Take the solution from Topcall.

There faxing solutions are highly scalable, offer transparent archiving and MetaMail technology, which allows heavy fax attachments to remain away from the mail server. Additionally Topcall's fault tolerance capabilities satisfy the most exacting of customer requirements

Jeff, what is the drawback of just using Unity as your fax server? Using the IP Configuration wizard and configuring the router for T37 support seems viable to me. Am I missing something?

No outbound fax support at all (yet - I'm waiting for some enhancements in IOS land to jump on that).