cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

auto negotiating port speed and duplexing

state
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon friends. Can anyone point me to documentation on why it is a good idea, or not a good idea to statically set port speed and duplexing on interfaces connecting a router to a switch, a switch to a switch, or a switch to a PC/server. I've heard stories supporting both sides of this issue (some say statically set them, others say let auto negotiate determine it). I need best practice documentation. Not just what you've seen or what you've heard. Anything will be sufficient: white papers, TAC case notes, product release notes, anything. Thank you

4 Replies 4

cgregg
Level 1
Level 1

In the past I have seen network problems related to port mismatches with port speed and duplex which will cause network errors, dropped packets and retransmissions. I am including a good document link.

LINKs:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094781.shtml#when

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfd6.shtml

Hope this helps,

Curt

editorstudio
Level 1
Level 1

for more reliable link and secure link state its recommended to statically set your port transfer mode to FULL/HALF and 10/100/1000 Mbps link speed .

attention to these notes :

-- A Port set to Full Duplex connected to another that set to half duplex should be checked for LATE COLLISION ERRORS.

-- A Port set to Half duplex connected to Full duplex port should be checked for FRAME CHECK SEQUENCE errors .

in this case you can use these CLI commands to set your port to work at your needs :

Switch>ena

Switch#conf t

Switch(config)#int fa 0/X

Switch(config-if)#sp 10 / 100 / au

Switch(config-if)#du ha / fu / au

Switch(config-if)# Ctrl+Z

in a router you can same command with little difference by your Router Series and IOS version .

Good Luck

Yours Truly

N.Baradaran

Senior Admin of Central Library - IUST university

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On a big network it is next to impossible to hardcode everything , specially if you have people moving around all the time . Usually auto/auto works sufficently but there are still times when you have nic incompatibilities . If you have high priority servers and connections to other switches and routers those are the ones I would hardcode . If you a smaller network then maybe you could hardcode everything . When you are working on a network with 30000 nodes it's a little tough to hardcode everything . :-)

geethajit
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with cgregg. Sometimes it doesn't negotiate properly when it's left at 'auto neg' as a result of this u end up getting quite a lot of errors & re-transmit.

I had a scenario where the link util was under 5% but the user was complaining about the slow performance and upon investigation found out that because of auto neg ON and mis-match duplex it was generating quite a bit of errors and the re-transmission rate was quite high as well.

As a norm on the server as well as the switch end, we normally leave the port speed as FIXED and auto neg FALSE to avoid the above scenario.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card