Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Discovery over ATM cloud

janith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a customer who has an ATM backbone as the WAN and has got over 30 Cisco 2621XM routers in the branches. My problem is I am trying to get these routers displayed in the Campus Manager Topology map.I have given the community strings properly but I cant seem to get them on the map.

Is there any special configuration that has to be enabled to do this.

Below is a sample of my ATM interface configuration

interface ATM0/0

no ip address

scrambling-payload

no atm ilmi-keepalive

!

interface ATM0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

pvc 1/1

vbr-nrt 969 520

oam-pvc manage

encapsulation aal5snap

Kindly Help. Thanks

Champika

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ntst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Champika

More specifically, if the WAN is provided by third party, you have 2 options:

1. Specify each remote router as a seed device in the ANI Discovery settings. The devices will not connect to each other and will remain as seperate networks on the Campus Manager map unless you implement option 2.

2. Enable CDP on the ATM point to point interfaces with the "cdp enable" command. This is supported in 12.3 mainline and some 12.2T releases (perhaps others). CDP is disabled on ATM interfaces by default as it is a newer feature. If all routers support this and have it turned on, as long as ANI discovers 1 it will then crawl and discover them all.

You can check the Feature Navigator to check the IOS that supports "Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) over ATM" at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

Good Luck,

Carlo

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ntst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Champika

More specifically, if the WAN is provided by third party, you have 2 options:

1. Specify each remote router as a seed device in the ANI Discovery settings. The devices will not connect to each other and will remain as seperate networks on the Campus Manager map unless you implement option 2.

2. Enable CDP on the ATM point to point interfaces with the "cdp enable" command. This is supported in 12.3 mainline and some 12.2T releases (perhaps others). CDP is disabled on ATM interfaces by default as it is a newer feature. If all routers support this and have it turned on, as long as ANI discovers 1 it will then crawl and discover them all.

You can check the Feature Navigator to check the IOS that supports "Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) over ATM" at http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

Good Luck,

Carlo

Hi Carlo & Mushtaq

Thanks for your replies. I will try the same. My routers have to be upgraded to support the CDP over ATM feature. Will test it after that.

Cheers

Champika