Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP not resolving CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER

We are having an issue where new 2700 and 2600 LAPs out of the box are unable to resolve the DNS entry during the controller join process.  I have verified through nslookup that the entry is correct and is resolving to the controller management interface.  What I have also discovered is from the AP console I can successfully ping CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER and the controller management IP responds. After this ping the AP is successfully able to join the controller.  If I set the AP back to factory default the issue begins all over again.  This is a problem for sites were we ship new APs and we do not have the choice to use DHCP option 43.  The APs get an IP no problem however they are unable to resolve the DNS entry.  Could this be a bug in the software that is initially loaded on the APs when shipped?  Has anyone seen this problem?

1 Reply 1

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Is the access-point trying to resolve the full dns name e.g. CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.domainname. Have you tried creating an entry for CISCO-LWAP-CONTROLLER.domainname as well.

You could also try priming tha access points before you ship then out.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card