Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended recording bit rate for HD Cameras 4000 series

petermora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

are there any Cisco documents available that specify the minimum recommended bit rate recording settings for HD 4000 series cameras.  

All i can find is an A&E spec on Cisco ET for HD cameras .

What setting are you guys using ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Peter,

There are several factors you may want to consider when setting the bitrate for a camera.

Some of therm are here

1. What setting did you use to scale the storage for the cameras?

2. What encoding will you use? MJPEG or h.264?

3. How much storage do you have for each camera?

4. How long do you want to keep the archives?

5. Are you recording on motion? If so how much per day?

6. What resolution are you using (1080. 720, 4CIF)

Assuming you are using 1080 and h.264 I would set the cam at 2Mbps or you can set it to VBR and roll the dice on motion.

I have a Cisco deisign guide that says the recommended rare is 4-6Mpbs for 1080p.

Bottom line is it depends on what the use case is for the camera.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Cory Blackman
Level 1
Level 1

We use CBR at 3-6 Megabits/s for Cisco HD cameras (in non-MJPEG), and you will still experience some tearing in action areas. Hope someone has better advice as i hate the tearing issues.

Thanks for the input Corey. Do you ever see your cameras lose an I frame around the "tearing?" Also if you don't mind telling, what are the switches you are using to connect the cameras to the servers?

Lol, Cisco switches! might be able to give you the models# at some point.    I'm not sure how many of the Intra-frames we lose, but that would probably be the cause of ripping/tearing, it would be nice if the firmware & VSM allowed us to accurately control compression and I-frame intervals, we may just switch to MJPEG, just have to re-make all the archives in VSOM... sigh.

I feel your pain. We had a similar problem when a customer was using non-Cisco switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: