cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSOM - Scheduled recording - bus hours only

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

I had this question come across my desk the other day. I am pretty sure he is right but I am looking for more validation. This is the only time the video is recording. Nothing on nights. Is there a way to make it a loop instead maybe?

Thank you.

So here’s some info on Recurring archives and their function.

Breakdown of what I’ve configured.

Scheduled Archive

Keep on Server (1) Month

M (8am-5pm)

T (8am-5pm)

W (8am-5pm)

Th (8am-5pm)

F (8am-5pm)

Sat (8am-5pm)

Sun (8am-5pm)

So from what Cisco explained to me the schedule isn’t marked stopped until after that week has finished recording/stopped.

Now the week that just finished is marked stopped and its (1) month timer begins. Meanwhile the next week starts as a new archive.

Fast forward to the start of week 4 the 1st week is only has 1 week to live and as soon as week 4 ends or is stopped the timer for the 1st week has ended.

When that happens week 1 is now delete entirely.

This is what I understood from Cisco.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael,

I have taken a look at how you have your archives configured below.  At the end of week 4 the data from the first Monday (8-5) recording from week 1 will start to be groomed  5 minutes at a time, as it hits the configured 1 month retention period.  Once Monday is groomed off, Tuesday will start to be groomed as it hits the 1 month timer.  This will occur for every day within the recurring schedule as the 1 month retention period is met.  The whole first week of data will not be groomed off at one point in time.

A loop archive could be created to encompass the night hours.  A loop archive is groomed in a similar fashion as a recurring schedule.

For example....If you have a 30 day loop archive, it will record the whole 30 days and on the 31st day, it will start to groom off the 1st day of the 30 day loop.  You can think of it like a sliding grooming bar that grooms when it hits the desired retention period.

Keep in mind to check the amount of repository space you have available.  Calculations should be done before configuring the archives to make sure there is enough space for the desired retention period.

I have attached the storage calculator for you reference.

If this has answered your question, please mark the question as answered.

Thank you,

Jim

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

James Sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael,

I have taken a look at how you have your archives configured below.  At the end of week 4 the data from the first Monday (8-5) recording from week 1 will start to be groomed  5 minutes at a time, as it hits the configured 1 month retention period.  Once Monday is groomed off, Tuesday will start to be groomed as it hits the 1 month timer.  This will occur for every day within the recurring schedule as the 1 month retention period is met.  The whole first week of data will not be groomed off at one point in time.

A loop archive could be created to encompass the night hours.  A loop archive is groomed in a similar fashion as a recurring schedule.

For example....If you have a 30 day loop archive, it will record the whole 30 days and on the 31st day, it will start to groom off the 1st day of the 30 day loop.  You can think of it like a sliding grooming bar that grooms when it hits the desired retention period.

Keep in mind to check the amount of repository space you have available.  Calculations should be done before configuring the archives to make sure there is enough space for the desired retention period.

I have attached the storage calculator for you reference.

If this has answered your question, please mark the question as answered.

Thank you,

Jim

Thanks Jim. We were looking for validation on the scheduled recording. The storage calc is an older tool right?

Hi Michael,

The storage calculator is an older tool, but can still be used to calculate the amount of storage which will be used for MPEG and JPEG feeds.

Jim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: