cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV215W not responding to outside connections

catuo81
Level 1
Level 1

The RV215W is not responding to the https port, the VNC port 5900 is also failing to respond. VPN still works, I will go in and reboot and it will work again. It works for 1 day and fails to connect again.

Latest Firmware is already install, I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for the sugestions.

Catuo

26 Replies 26

davegritten
Level 1
Level 1

I also have similar problem, I have entered single port fowarding, works for a short time, then stops, rebooting fixes the problem, but only for a short period of time. varies from 5 minutes to just over an hour.

Hoping to find a fix, or hoping Cisco release bug fix ASAP.  Otherwise I need to replace with router with a different unit.

Dave Gritten

IT Director

Maritime Beauty

3695 Barrington St

Halifax NS  B3K 2Y3

cell 902.223.9685

phone 902.429.8510 ext231

fax 902.422.7983

dgritten@MaritimeBeauty.com

www.MaritimeBeauty.com

Hi Dave, Catuo.

Please call the Small Business Support Center to confirm if this is a bug. Please go here to find the phone number in your country:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

I experience this same issue with my RV215W routers.  Internet access works fine but the port forwards just stop accepting connections.  Reboot solved the issues.  Annoying if a mail server is behind the router. These routers seem to have a lot of issues.  I though CISCO was top dog in the router area.  Did I make a mistake by selecting the small business line of CISCO routers?  Are their bigger routers just as buggs/not working?

It's not just single port forwarding that has bugs, the entire router has bugs and simply does not work as advertised. I have found the following bugs/aspects of this router that just does not work correctly: 1. If you have to open ports, and who doesn’t, this router will eventually stop accepting packets from WAN>LAN. You will still have Internet access but no open ports. A reboot will fix this problem. Oh, by the way, this router has no scheduled reboot option! ••ßThat would be a workaround but a welcome one for this router. 2. Firewall Access rules do not work!! Yep, a Cisco router and basic functionality simply does not work. I called Cisco and even though the tech saw the router not working denied it was a bug! Said we have to do port mirroring, setup a workstation with WireShark and capture packets so we can debug the issues! I told him I would have appreciated if Cisco would have debugged the issues with their router BEFOR they shipped the units. Stay away from Cisco Small Business Routers. I wish I had. And if there are any Cisco die-hards out there willing to prove me wrong, just reply to this and please, prove me wrong that the RV series and specifically the RV215W is not JUNK.

WOW!!

I just recently updated 8 of these Routers to firmware v.1.3.0.7 and am now experiencing what people have been dealing with for YEARS. 

Honestly, if this were a car, there would be recall all over the place.

I cannot call Cisco support as these are not covered under any support contract according to the Cisco tech i spoke with about an hour ago.

So, Cisco releases a product that we purchase. Cisco's update causes major issues for their hardware, directly affecting business and tech support alike (who, are supporting Cisco by purchasing their products).

Cisco's response to this mess, is to not support the product, the consumer or the tech support working on the product... and, Cisco is surprised that they are losing consumers, revenue and stock?

We call this "shooting yourself in the foot" or "biting the had that feeds you".

If I don't have a viable solution for my clients quickly (which i don't anticipate being this has been an on-going issue), I will be forced to go any other direction but Cisco as may others have been doing.

deananiev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
"I also have similar problem, I have entered single port fowarding"....I think cisco need immediately fix that bug's!!!

Dargomir - Do yourself a huge favor: Literally throw all the Cisco Small Business routers you have in the trash can and replace them with Dell Sonicwall routers. This is what I did and guess what? - Yep, they actuallt work!  Site to site VPN is rock solid and so is everything else the router does. TZ105W, TZ205W or TZ215W are just awesome.  I have never been happier with a router in the 20+ years I have been in the business and working with these devices.  Good luck!

Hi Anthony, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for all this bad time you had with your device, I want to ask you in order to track this kind of issues, what ports were you using to configure the port forwarding? We are working on it in order to fix any possible sign of software issues and we will appreciate if you can provide us your feedback. Also you Dargomir, if you could please, share your configuration we will appreciate this information

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Luis - Thanks for your reply.  This is not a personla attack on you, but i have to be honest here:

You said: "We are working on it in order to fix any possible sign of software issues and we will appreciate if you can provide us your feedback."

That's just it!  When we (the consumer and tech support people) purchase products from Cisco or anyone else but espically Cisco - we expect them to work.  We don't have the time to try and help you figure out what is wrong with your product. Your development team should have already tested ANY router that was released to the public for 'basic functionality' and fix any 'major bugs' before release.  I would consider Firewall Access Rules to be Basic Functionality.  Access Rules in the RV215W simply do not work.

I realize that you find out after the release that there are bugs and I get the firmware update process.

But this router, the RV215W was not ready for prime time - bottom line.

I literally threw the RV215W's that do not work in the trash and purchased Sonicwall routers.

Thanks anyway,

Hello Dargomir,

Would you be able to contact our support organization  (Cisco SBSC) and open a Service request. One of our Engineers will be  able to work with you to resolve this issue. You can find the SBSC  contact information in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Thanks,

Nagaraja

I have this same problem with our router and am willing to work with support.  Is there an open ticket already or should I log a separate one ?

Michele

krucus12345
Level 1
Level 1

I am having this exact same problem.  I have to setup a port forwarding and after a day the port is no longer forwarded.  I have also updated to the latest firmware.

Anwar Mangla
Level 1
Level 1

After following up with Cisco tech for over a month. He suggested to replace the router with new one through RMA and send old one to cisco at our expense first and then cisco will send us a replacement....What a crappy service....

I have same issue with 2 other routers (Same model and same newest firmware). I told the tech that cisco needs to invest some time into new firmware for this router.

Solution:

take all routers and check the local timing of the train and just put these in a row on the track and just enjoy the way it will be crushed......

Just avoid buying this RV series of routers from cisco. There are more options available out there.....

Hi Anwar, I'm sorry to hear you're going thru these issues. I'm deploying assistance here at Cisco, and have a few questions.

• How many devices do you have, are they all RV215's?
  • Please share with me your environment.
  • What was your case number that you opened with the technical support team
  • Also, please share your remote desktop info (Windows, Linux, VNC)? 

Thanks,

Glenn