Views
Helpful
Replies

4Port T1/E1Clear Channel HWIC

David Grimm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I've recently began using a 2921 with two 4 port T1/E1 clear channel cards. I'm using these with 1.544Mb T1 circuits. After almost 2 hours of putting this router in production I finally figured out the configuration of the T1 slots, channel-groups, and timeslots. I am a little confused on this newer technology and was wondering if someone could better explain the whole deal with channel-groups and timeslots? It seems to be working just fine but I want to make sure I'm completely on the right track.

The configuration I'm using that works is:

Configure each of the T1 controllers with channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

That creates the actual serial interfaces for me, I assign the necessary PPP IPs and I'm good to go.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

T1 (DS1) consists of 24 channels (DS0), each with 64kbps (or 56) speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signal_1

In order to create a serial interface you need to tell it how many and which channels constitute that interface (you could have a fractional T1 with channels 1 through 5 for example). Clear channel only interface simply means that it doesn't support fractional T1 and can only do full 24-channel T1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

T1 (DS1) consists of 24 channels (DS0), each with 64kbps (or 56) speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signal_1

In order to create a serial interface you need to tell it how many and which channels constitute that interface (you could have a fractional T1 with channels 1 through 5 for example). Clear channel only interface simply means that it doesn't support fractional T1 and can only do full 24-channel T1.

David Grimm
Level 1
Level 1

Ok... Makes complete sense now, I was thinking about it too hard butts much clearer now!

Thank you

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card