cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Achieving 10Gbps LAN Speed (or relatively close)

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there

So, I have an FPR1010 which is the 1Gbps Interfaces.. Each Interface [using 7 of them] have their own vlan. Each interface is connected to the same Nexus 9K Series Switch, all L2, and their own vlans accordingly.

So, various endpoints connect to their respective Interfaces on Nexus which are associated with their own vlans in relation to the FPR1010 vlans.

Long story short... EVERYTHING connects on the Nexus, which are all 10Gbps Interfaces... But, will vlan1 communicate with vlan2,3,4,5 or 6 at 10Gbps [or relative] or does it drop down to 1Gbps because the "routing" is done on the 1Gbps FPR1010.

I would assume routing logic would dictate the packets never leave the Nexus other than vlan to vlan, but was not sure.

70 Replies 70

So, what to you mean in an earlier reply that your VLANs could ping each other?

I have a copy of CML, which I believe has Nexus virtual devices, so I'll see if I can lab your setup.

Correct, 192.168.3.0 could ping 192.168.1.1 and 1.2 and other way around, but nothing connected via L2 Interfaces on either vlan could. When I get home I will indeed verify this as accurate again. I did do the pinging with each vlan as the source as well.

It really is the strangest thing.

If you mean, on the Nexus, one SVI could ping any other SVI, but VLAN host couldn't ping other VLAN hosts, either hosts don't have a correct gateway or Nexus isn't routing.

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

I indeed will verify this but I am sure the Gateways are of the ones on the Nexus. I have gone back and forth trying so many things I will gave to make sure.

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

In the meantime, being that they are vlan interfaces, but the dhcp server is on the FPR, would this by any chance cause any blockage? Nothing ACL should be done on FPR? I ask cause yeah the routing is done on the Nexus, but if the DHCP is on the FPR, does that not require ACL?

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Alright, so this appears to be the issue!

The NEXUS is creating the "routing" among vlan 1-6. They are all 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1 and so on. Each vlan has an interface and cable to the FPR in accordance to the vlans, so on the FPR I have Interface 2-7 being vlan 1-6. Each Interface on the FPR, being a vlan, has it's IP address as 192.168.1.2, 192.168.2.2 and so on. On the FPR, I NEED to run the DHCP Server, cause the Nexus apparently does not do DHCP Servers.

Here is what is happening! The DHCP Server on FPR is handing out the correct ip's, But EVERY GATEWAY is the x.2 IP of the FPR vlan ip!! Hence, I would have Internet, but no LAN to LAN, cause the IP's every host is grabbing is grabbing x.2, FPR vlan IP, not the .x.1 Nexus Interface vlan IP. This is not good... I can not possibly make every host and this and that manually input an IP. So, I have to either find if it is possible to program the FPR to make each DHCP Server's Gateway IP x.1 or, make it possible for Nexus to , oh heck I do not even know.

Ah, when you described DHCP server(s), thought you had actual separate DHCP servers, on each VLAN.  But, what you're talking about is "servers" on the FPR1010, one defined per VLAN?

If so, hmm, interesting it assumes its gateway IP should be itself.  BTW, this isn't the case when using the DHCP server feature of IOS.

As I've no experience with any FPR, cannot help much with its configuration.  But, if it has host DHCP info still pointing to its interfaces, would expect it to work as it had been working.  I.e. LAN routing via the FPR.  This not the case?

Anyway, I saw your new post looking to find if anyone can help you get the FPR DHCP server(s) to provide the gateway IPs you want it too.

Yeah not insure best how to describe it. I would love to run dhcp on Nexus. Being I can’t, I run it on FPR, kinda of backwards cause the Interface vlans are .1 and the FPR vlans are .2, which all hosts grab, .2. On reading about the DHCP Server on FPR, it says it will assume/use the interface IP as the dhcp gateway. If I set it to 192.168.1.88 it would use that. 

So hopefully I get some info on enabling the dhcpd code 3 and specify the gateways, for each vlan. 

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Got it working.

6 wan ip's, 6 vlans, FPR to Nexus, Got Nexus set up at a dhcp server for each vlan. Every vlan cans ee each other, connect to each other and connect to the Internet, and best of all, what started it all in 5 different posts in 5 different formats, i transfer from vlan to vlan 700+/- MBps

Congrats!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card