Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL2+ configuration on 2800

c.walsh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have a customer in the UK, who is starting to deploy ADSL2+ circuits for the new sites they are adding to their BT IPClear MPLS network.

We want to standardise with a config for each site, but to date have found that we seem to be using a different config for each site.

Some are configured using a dialer interface & some using a virtual template.

Does anyone know why on some of the sites the virtual template method works & on others we have to configure a dialer interface.

Also in regards to the speeds, what should we configure as bandwidth statements & also for traffic shaping.

I know that the ADSL2+ circuits can operate at various speeds, but am i right in thinking these higher speeds are the clock rate of the line & with the BT IPClear product, the customer only gets the agreed/paid for bandwidth.

As this figure is different in both directions, when the traffic shaping is configured using vbr-rt command, is the amount entered based on the slower upstream bandwidth on the circuit.

Also, does anyone have any troubleshooting guides for ADSL2+ in the UK?

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A same configuration (changing passwords only) should be working consistently across al sites.

You do not need to configure any bandwidth parameter, shaping or vbr-rt parameter, all these things are done automatically depending on the bandwith prvisioned by ISP.

Also, troubleshooting ADSL or ADSL2 or ADLS2+, Annex M or not, in UK or any other country is the same process, depending on the problem encountered.

What you may want to do, if you have many sistes and they are important, is to setup a practical network management system.

Paulo,

Thanks for your reply.

I also think that the same configuration should work across all sites, but as i said we have had to use different configs on different sites.

I guess i will have to talk to the Service Provider re this.

In regards to the traffic shaping commands these are for the end to end circuit provided by the Service Provider across the ADSL circuit, why would we not need to use them?

Finally, you mention all troubleshooting uses the same process's.

What i am looking for is a troubleshooting guide, with reference to acceptable SNR/Attenuation levels etc.

Thanx

Colin

The reason why you do not have to configure any traffic shaping is, as mentioned above, is because the router does that automatically.

Then regarding troubleshooting, to be honest with you, there isn't much that you as user of the service shall do, except make sure you are running update ADSL firmware.

Either the circuit deliver the contract performances, and you pay for it, or it doesn't, and you don't pay.

Parameters like SNR, attenuation etc, are mostly of informational use, as telco is supposed to know them as well without you intevening.

Paulo,

We sell the service to the end user via a telco in the UK (BT).

What i am trying to establish is some understanding, so that when the customer reports a quality issue, we can talk to the provider with some facts.

So that when they tell me they do not see a problem i can dispute it with some knowledge of what is acceptable in regards to the line.

This is not just a user with a broadband connection to the internet, they are running Data & IPT accross these circuits & when supporting them we need to be able to troubleshoot with the service provider.

The problem is that the customer will stop paying us if the service provider does not deliver the contract performance.

Thanks for your input, but if you can't provide any help with troubleshooting, then maybe someone else will reply.

Colin

Sorry If I can't be of help, maybe it's because I've "only" have implemented some hundreds branches networks, in different parts of the world, with ADLS/MPLS/VPN access, and have no problem speaking about the process as really it is.

ADSL is, thanks heaven, very straightforward. Either the circuit syncs to the speed it was supposed to (depending by distance from C.O.), or it doesn't.

If it doesn't, and you have the latest ADSL firmware on router, there is not anything else you should or can do.

Then, either the circuit is stable, or it is not. To know that, you collect syslog and run an NMS, as i suggested in my first post.

All what out customer first level helpdesk has to do, is to verify if the circuit is up, if is not, open ticket with SP and track it.

of course, if the application is critical, you should use 3G backup. Again, they do not do any circuit-level ADSL troubleshooting, because that is a job for the telco.

For sure in some cause it turns out it's an equipment failure, case for which you must have some spares all the time.

If you, as senior engineer, like to build your own tables relating attenuation values with sync speeds, SNRs to circuit stability, DSLAM linecard type and version to IOS compatibility, that may be interesting, but unlikely to help much in day by day operation.

Then, if what you wanted to know is  not this, good luck finding it.

c.walsh
Level 3
Level 3

Paolo,

I was not questioning your experience or knowledge, so don't take it personally!

The problem we get in the UK, is that we have a main customer that is always complaining about quality issues with these circuits.

When we log calls with the service provider, then the usual response is No fault found.

Like i said i was just trying to get some knowledge & understanding of what is acceptable & what is a good signal.

Did not mean to cause you any offense.

Colin

No offense done or taken.

I just told you things as they are. I have no problem in repeating them.

What you have found happens exactly the same in every part of the world. You can look at the data in the router but do not expect it to be a base of discussion with telco. With them, you can only open tickets and escalate to customer advocacy, business standards type agencies or use an attorney in extreme cases.

Luckily in my experience that is rarely necessary and when you do your due diligence, they will also try, and things work nice and smooth.

Then if you have a punitive contract in which third party fault is your responsibility, that's not a technical matter for a forum like this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card