cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP conditional advertisement under address-family VRF

mile.ljepojevic
Level 1
Level 1

I needed conditional advertisement for my backup BGP router. Unfortunately, my backup BGP router is the same router we are using for backup MPLS connections, so I thought of creating VRF, and then configure BGP under VRF... That part worked, unfortunately, when I wanted to add conditiona advertisement (because I want to announce my prefixes only if my primary Interner router fails), but I couldn find that command...

Is this supported or what?

Best regards,

Mile

1 Reply 1

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hello!

I also tried over different platforms and multiple IOS versions. It seems that it's not supported under VRF. There is no problem using it with the global routing in BGP, but not under VRF.

One solution would be to run a check on some prefix (like with IP SLA). The based on the conditions true / false (reachable / not reacheable , exist / don't exist in routing table) to run EEM to add or delete the "network x.x.x.x mask x.x.x.x" statment from the BGP vrf configuration.

Of course this is a little bit complex and add some overhead operations and resource consumptions on your devices.

If I find an alternate solution I will add it here.

Cheers,

Calin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card