cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot set ip address on port

moman62
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a cisco 2811 router that has the fa0/0 and 0/1 ports configured for internet.

I am trying to config int fa0/2/0 which is an add-on card for network connectivity and when I try to give the port an ip address, this is the message I get:

RT1LAB(config)#int fa0/2/0

RT1LAB(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.62 255.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

What does that mean? Thanks

12 Replies 12

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This port is configured as a L2 port. Do a "no switchport" under this interface and then configured the ip address.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

message after no switchport command:

RT1LAB(config)#int FastEthernet0/2/0
RT1LAB(config-if)#no switchport
Command rejected: Not a convertable port.
RT1LAB(config-if)#

I am using an HWIC  -4ES FastEthernet module, Is there an add-on module that does work for this router? Thanks

Hi,

I don't think that module supports layer 3 ports. You will need to use   vlans and SVI

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Is there a module that will work with the router that supports layer 3? I mean I could use vlans but I'm looking to be able to ssh into the router for remote config instead of using the console cable all of the time?

Hi,

You can use SVI e.g.

vlan database

vlan 2

interface fa0/2/0

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

interface vlan 2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Thanks

John

So basically if you are using Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 for the internet without the modules, you have no way of telnet or ssh into the 2811 router?

But if you have the module, you have to create vlans or svi to telnet or ssh into the router?

Hi,

You can still ssh to the router using the ip address on Fa0/0 or Fa0/1.

Have you connected Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 to the Internet? Then, how are you connecting to your network  without the esw module?

Thanks

John

I was not using the module at all until today. I wanted to use the module port fa0/2/0 as a way to set an ip address and configure for remote ssh via putty so I would not have to use my console cable all the time.

But from what I'm hearing it cannot be configured unless its eitther vlan or svi configured.

I just really want to know what name/model of module would I need just for the purpose of remoting into the 2811 router? I don't want to configure a virtual or switch port just to do that.

Hello,

which card did you get ? Does the interface take the 'no switchport' command ?

dbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Please see this thread:

installing-and-configuring-ip-address-on-hwic-4esw-interface

Hope this helps

Dave

John and Dave are pointing you in the right direction. The card you are using gives you 4 ports to work with but that particular card is designed to operate as a small switch. You could use the default vlan which is vlan 1 or you could configure a new vlan for your access. Then you need to configure a vlan interface, and assign it an IP address. I do not see that being much of a problem.

But if you do not want to configure the vlan interface then you need to acquire a different card to provide an Ethernet interface for your router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hans Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

The route Cisco 2811 comes with two fixed port fast ethernet, Interfaces Fa0/0 and Fa0/1, you can configure this port like layer 3 globally on the interface or on-stick.

conf t

default interface fa0/0 or default interface fa0/1, to clear the configuration on ports.

after that

conf t

interface fa0/0

ip add <ip> <mask>

no shutdown

or 

interfaces fa0/0.10

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip add <ip> <mask>

no shut

2811.jpg

The port Fa0/2/0, corresponding to an interface on module switch (ISR4431-X-4x1GE), ports of this module only accept configuration like switchport mode access or switchport mode trunk, if you need use a port of this module, you can put once port at mode access and create a SVI o configure the port like trunk and equal you need configure a SVI to get remote access over IP using telnet or ssh cliente.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card