Views
Helpful
Replies

choose equipment

Itap
Level 1
Level 1

we have a project on optical ring, where it is necessary to select equipment:

1) Layer3 - Routers - 14 pcs. should support 10G and 1Gig.

2) Layer2 - switch - 32 pcs. Support 1Gig

what kind of equipment would you recommend for the project

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For L2 switches, you might want to examine the 2960 series, unless you need a very high number of ports or very high performance.

For your L3, you might also want to consider L3 switches.  Proper device selection for L3 can be more complex than for L2, so as Paolo suggested, you might want to obtain professional consultation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use ASR or 7600 routers, then choose from a wide variety of switches.

You should consult with a Cisco Partner or reputable consultant to better define your requirements.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For L2 switches, you might want to examine the 2960 series, unless you need a very high number of ports or very high performance.

For your L3, you might also want to consider L3 switches.  Proper device selection for L3 can be more complex than for L2, so as Paolo suggested, you might want to obtain professional consultation.

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

The ring, I assume based on the drawing that this is dark fiber and not a MetroE connection from a carrier.

This really depends on requirements and budget.

You can use as ASR or 7600 as Paolo suggested, or you can use L3 switches such as 4500x, 6500 and/or VSS, or 4948, and even 3750x

Also, need to know port counts.

The drawing is good but lacking a lot of detail.  This type of detail will be fleshed out with a discussion with a local rep.

However, for me, I am assuming no budget I would go with ASR at the Campus Core on the ring, 4500x as the distribution, and 3750x as the access.

The 4500x is because Cisco will be launching VSS in the 4500x, supposedly 2012 Jan. - Mar. timeframe.

For my data center I would go with Nexus 7k or 5k with 2000 FEX for the server farm.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card