Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 IOS upgrade

angelicamendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade the Cisco 9300 switch  from  IOS XE16.12.4 to IOS 17.3.4? Can we can upgrade it directly? What is the command to check the  version running on the primary ROMMON ? What is the command to check the  version running on the golden ROMMON  ?

If there is a switch stack , how do you upgrade the golden ROMMON? In the release notes, it says " In case of a switch stack, perform the upgrade on the active switch and all members of the stack." Does it mean that we only need to run the command on the active switch ?

Thanks.

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@angelicamendoza wrote:

Can you  please let me know if we can upgrade it directly?

Direct upgrade is supported.  

@angelicamendoza wrote:

What is the command to check the  version running on the primary ROMMON

sh rom-monitor switch 1 r0

Thanks Leo.

Upgrade to 17.3.5 (instead of 17.3.4).  Why?  PSIRT.  

No need to conduct the Golden Capsule Upgrade. 

I thought the Golden ROMMON is the back up incase the primary is corrupted .What will happen if it is not upgraded?Thanks.

@angelicamendoza wrote:

I thought the Golden ROMMON is the back up incase the primary is corrupted

Yes, that is correct. 

Why NOT upgrade the Golden Capsule?  Because there is a "bug" with the implementation:  Golden Capsule upgrade means each switch member will need to be manually upgraded.  Take note, "each switch member will need to be manually upgraded".   If I have, for instance, a stack of 6 switches then the command will need to be entered six times.  

The developers did not think this process through like they did not envision someone to be stacking switches.  

And, unlike a firmware upgrade, Golden Capsule is a separate outage.  The stack boots the new firmware and then the operator invokes the Golden Capsule upgrade and the specified stack member will reboot, one by one.  Make sure to take note which stack member was upgraded because there is no way to tell. 

Ever since the introduction of 17.X.X, I have never had a switch fail to boot.  And if I will have one, I am going to replace the switch with a spare unit and RMA the failed unit.  

And the coup de grâce, Cisco's PI and DNAC does not support Golden Capsule upgrade.  

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tested This week  Cat 9300 17.3.5 and also 17.6.1/2 work as expected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hey Leo,

Thank you for the valuable information.

I just get lost in the conversation here.

If we want to upgrade the 9300 stack with 3 switch members from 16.12.4 to 17.3.5 ,do we need to upgrade each switch manually ?

Thanks

@q-le wrote:
If we want to upgrade the 9300 stack with 3 switch members from 16.12.4 to 17.3.5 ,do we need to upgrade each switch manually ?

Upgrade the firmware of the stack?  No. 

Upgrade the GOLDEN Capsule?  Yes. 

My recommendation is "Upgrade the firmware" only -- There is no operational need to upgrade the Golden Capsule. 

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

thanks for the attached pdf - very usefull.

my stack switches are in bundle mode - is there any benefit to goto install mode ?

Thanks

Install Mode is the recommended method. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card