Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASR1002-5G/K9 - 8 SFP Ports MGBSX1

Hi guys,

I am trying to improve the switched network on a customer site. I aim to install a router in order to split the switched network into 7 broadcast domains.

So far, they have been using a very old Catalyst 4000 switch as core switch to connect together the 7 offices and many 3500 series as access switches.

I have found the router ASR1002-5G/K9 that seems to me a good deal. At a first sight it seems just necessary to buy an extension module that supports 4 additional SFP and nothing more. The SFP connector I need is MGBSX1.

Could you guys please let me know if I am mistaking and if you know better solutions? The budget is limited to about $10K - $12K.

Thanks a lot,

Dario 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dario Francesco Vanin wrote:

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your answer. I don't need any NAT or routing protocol because all I have to connect is in terms of routers are just that device and the Telco Router. Do you already know the code of the module I have to add on the 3750X?

Dario

You don't need to add *any* modules to the 3750X - the model I quoted has 12 SFP port - you just plug in the appropriate SFP's.

If your links are copper (I.E. not long range), then you can do it even cheaper - buy a WS-C3750X-24T-S - 24 copper based gigabit ports - plenty to segment your network.

If you need fibre uplinks, then the first switch - the WS-C3750X-12S-S - will give you 12 SFP based ports - but without knowing what kind (and distance) of fibre you need/have I don't want to recommend fibre SFP's.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Hi Darren,

Look at this config:

- Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560X-48T-L (Layer 3 switch)

- Cisco C3KX-NM-1G (4x ports Fiber extension)

What's your take?

thanks,

Dario

Well, I'd use a WS-C3750X-48T-L (in fact, I use a WS-C3750X-48T-S), but as long as you don't need to stack additional switches (the 3560 doesn't support stacking), then that'll work fine - the NM-1G module has 4 SFP ports which you can populate with fibre SFP's for your fibre links, and there's plenty of ports for your copper.

I reckon, though, based on what you've said, that if you bought the WS-C3560X-48T-S model (IP base software) you could do away with the requirement for the ASR completely - as long as you don't need anything really fancy in the way of routing protocols (Static routes, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP are all included in IP Base - BGP is not), then you don;t need a dedicated router - the switch will do it for you.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot Darren. I really appreciate your help.

I have analyzed the devices and they look exactly what I need. Tomorrow I am going to discuss with the customer about the hardware you suggested.

Dario

De nada, mate. Hope it works out. Can you mark your question as answered if it does.

Cheers.

8 Replies 8

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys,

I am trying to improve the switched network on a customer site. I aim to install a router in order to split the switched network into 7 broadcast domains.

So far, they have been using a very old Catalyst 4000 switch as core switch to connect together the 7 offices and many 3500 series as access switches.

I have found the router ASR1002-5G/K9 that seems to me a good deal. At a first sight it seems just necessary to buy an extension module that supports 4 additional SFP and nothing more. The SFP connector I need is MGBSX1.

Could you guys please let me know if I am mistaking and if you know better solutions? The budget is limited to about $10K - $12K.

Thanks a lot,

Dario 

Dario.

Do you need any "fancy" routing protocols (BGP) or NAT? That bundle also does security - do you really need it?

If not, then do yourself a favour and buy a layer 3 switch instead. You can get a 3750X-12S with 12 SFP ports fore less than probably $7k (depending on where you are in the world), then just put in the SFP's you need - you'll get faster switching/routing (wire rate for the 3750X compared to a max of about 13 gigabits per second for the ASR (and that's assuming the latest engines - actually, the model you're quoting will only do about 4.5 gig per second).

From what you've said about splittign the network into different broadcast domains, a layer 3 switch will be a more cost effective option. YMMV, however.

Cheers

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your answer. I don't need any NAT or routing protocol because all I have to connect is in terms of routers are just that device and the Telco Router. I read the datasheet and I let you know.

Thanks again,

Dario

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your answer. I don't need any NAT or routing protocol because all I have to connect is in terms of routers are just that device and the Telco Router. Do you already know the code of the module I have to add on the 3750X?

Dario

You don't need to add *any* modules to the 3750X - the model I quoted has 12 SFP port - you just plug in the appropriate SFP's.

If your links are copper (I.E. not long range), then you can do it even cheaper - buy a WS-C3750X-24T-S - 24 copper based gigabit ports - plenty to segment your network.

If you need fibre uplinks, then the first switch - the WS-C3750X-12S-S - will give you 12 SFP based ports - but without knowing what kind (and distance) of fibre you need/have I don't want to recommend fibre SFP's.

Cheers.

At the moment there are 4 fiber links already connected from the various offices to the 4000 series core switch.

Additionally there are all the servers (about 24 Ethernet cables) directly connected to the 4000 series core switch.

My initial thought was to connect all the servers to a new switch and then connect that switch to the ASR1002 via fiber.

If I could find a Layer 3 switch with 24 or more copper interfaces and 4 (or possibly 8) Fiber, it would be great. The problem is that so far I’ve found just 2 SFP ports on the switches I’ve found.

Thanks,

Dario

Hi Darren,

Look at this config:

What's your take?

thanks,

Dario

Hi Darren,

Look at this config:

What's your take?

thanks,

Dario

Well, I'd use a WS-C3750X-48T-L (in fact, I use a WS-C3750X-48T-S), but as long as you don't need to stack additional switches (the 3560 doesn't support stacking), then that'll work fine - the NM-1G module has 4 SFP ports which you can populate with fibre SFP's for your fibre links, and there's plenty of ports for your copper.

I reckon, though, based on what you've said, that if you bought the WS-C3560X-48T-S model (IP base software) you could do away with the requirement for the ASR completely - as long as you don't need anything really fancy in the way of routing protocols (Static routes, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP are all included in IP Base - BGP is not), then you don;t need a dedicated router - the switch will do it for you.

Cheers.

I have analyzed the devices and they look exactly what I need. Tomorrow I am going to discuss with the customer about the hardware you suggested.

Dario

Dario

De nada, mate. Hope it works out. Can you mark your question as answered if it does.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: