Views
Helpful
Replies

Combine/Merge bandwidth of 2 ISP and get single

Kuldeep singh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I have cisco 1841 router and  two types of ISP line (Different provider):

1. Lease line = 2 mbps   ( it is terminated over cisco 1841 router);   For internet-access purpose

2. DSL = 1 mbps;    For internet-access purpose

Our cisco 1841 router have only two fastethernet port, first for WAN Port where 2 mbps lease line terminated ,

second for LAN which is connected to Cisco switch and  1 mbps adsl line running seperatly which  is not

part of cisco 1841 router. i am planning to buy HWIC card for extra wan port on existing router where

i will terminate 1 mbps adsl  line or may be other provider lease line.

I want to merge or aggregate both WAN link, My concern is to merge both line (2+1) and

get single one (Just like as Etherchannel thing) , get 3mbps for LAN for internet access.

Plz explain with configuration. 

is it possible ???

if it is not possible through this scenerio then plz suggest me alternate methods or any Dedicated hardware for this ??

Note That:

A. we have only single location

B. we are not using any routing protocols and do not want use Routing protocols.

KS

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello Kuldeep,

1)  each user is mapped on one internet facing link and can use as much as the speed of that link, the link bandwidth is shared between all users mapped to the same link. That's all the solution allows to use all the internet facing links but it does not provide guarantees to a single user

2)  failover will occur after detection, impacted users may have to reload the web page to trigger a new NAT translation, but NAT entries using the failed interface should be purged

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Hello Kuldeep,

1) yes requires same ISP and same router on ISP side

2) no generally speaking is less likely as it requires appropriate HW but it is still possible in a few cases

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kuldeep,

• Get a dual WAN router. This type of cable or DSL router has two WAN connections for two independent connections and is designed to manage Internet traffic in the most efficient way to increase the overall speed of connection.
  • Set up the dual-connection router. Follow the documentation provided to set up the router. Seek any support available from the provider of the equipment.
  • Test the connection. You should now notice a considerable improvement in speed of the Internet connection.

or Just follow this blog:

http://techboss24.blogspot.de/2012/07/merge-two-internet-connection-from.html

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

Hi Sandeep,

I have gone through that blog sent by you but there are lot of different things like :

1. pppoe  ( i do not have such kind of link)

2. Interface Dialer  ????

I am planning to buy HWIC card ( of Cisco 1841 Router) for other WAN link so i do not want

purchase Dual WAN Router.

Plz also suggest me that which card i will purchase for other WAN link..........

is there any other simple way to configure this ?

Hi Kuldeep,

int Dailer is used to setup a ISDN(Via telephone .-PSTN Network)- but u dont need this.

you can use HWIC-4SEW card for this router. you can twon provider on 2 interface but i dont know , how u will merge 2 isp in a single line to speed up.

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

I heard about "Multilink" interface Concept for doing this......But i am not Sure about this ??

Hi Kuldeep,

I dont have much idea about  "Multilink" interface Concept"

http://ask-leo.com/can_i_combine_two_internet_connections_to_get_a_faster_connection.html

Regrads

sandeepchoudhary21 wrote:

Hi Kuldeep,

int Dailer is used to setup a ISDN(Via telephone .-PSTN Network)- but u dont need this.

That is incorrect. Broadband PPP and PPPoE connections also use Dialer interface.

Mr Paolo,

That is incorrect. Broadband PPP and PPPoE connections also use Dialer interface.

u r using also and saying incorrect??

Regards

sandeepchoudhary21 wrote:

Mr Paolo,

u r using also and saying incorrect??

Regards

Yes. In other words, with any PPP or PPPoE connction, one needs to use Dialer interfaces.

Hi Kuldeep,

i would say you should set PfR (OER) to really implement something corresponding and ansering your needs. You are lucky enough to satisfy the prerequisites to enable PfR and you would get the best from this. On INE.com on "free resources" section you will find an intro to PfR done by Brian Dennis ... You'll love it

If you do not want to do this , do not change router but implement QoS policies or local policies to set the next hop depending from the type of traffic or other criteria.

Let us know

Alessio

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can only do load balancing, not aggregate bandwidth. This is the basic configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080950834.shtml

Toe, unless you have experience and understanding of IOS, it is higly recommended that you get someone that does to do it.

Hi Paolo,

Given URL having some problem, not open here

negutcostel
Level 1
Level 1

I think you want to multiplex the lines into single.You need a multiplex function.I assert the verb "merge" much more with database records and table , whose meaning is a little different from join but in abstraction mean fusion.

Load balance mean you have a tree representation of loads.

Balance happen when the tree start growing in a direction too much.Share is as properties, if some consumers share a producer ,(ie a buffer the buffer will be emptied by more users ,not necessarly faster)

KS

If you obtain and install an Ethernet card or the Ethernet switch card mentioned in an earlier post then effectively your 1841 will become a dual WAN router.

Multilink is used for ppp links. It is an effective way to combine several independent physical links and provide one virtual interface with the combined bandwidth of the component physical links. But from the way that you have described your connections I do not believe that you would be able to do multilink with your connections.

And I do not know of any practical way to combine your two ISP links and get the combined bandwidth. The alternative that would work with these interfaces would be load sharing. But you have indicated that you do not want to consider this alternative. So with that constraint I do not believe that there is any way to achieve your objective.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Why "Multilink" will not work in my Scenerio. Please explain with reason ?

If we talk about Load sharing or Load balancing then it provides bandwidth as per Ratio/Percentage

like 10-90,20-40-40, 50-50, etc.  Am i right ??? 

How can i configure Load Sharing in my case as you mentioned that it is last option??

For     example, suppose I have three Internet connections. One ISP gives 6     Mbps, another ISP gives 3 Mbps, and a third gives  1 Mbps.

How much bandwidth i will get inside LAN  when i use Load Balancing or Load sharing ????

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: