cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Host Binding and Client Name

bellaireroad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am using a 1811W and CCP for configuration.  I am trying to assign client names to devices on the LAN so that when a network scanner is used, the  client name is displayed.  I have attached part of  the running config after a binding has been done.  My assumption is that the scanner should now show 192.168.1.109 as  name <Supermicro>, but the name is blank.  Is this configured correctly for what I am trying to acheive?  Thanks, Roger

3 Replies 3

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried to create a manual binding for one of the computers (Windows if possible) using the client-identifier instead of the hardware address option?

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool

Router(dhcp-config)# host

[mask | /prefix-length]

Router(dhcp-config)# client-identifier

Router(dhcp-config)# client-name

Here is an example (you will need to create one "pool" per computer):

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool PC-1

Router(dhcp-config)# host 192.168.1.5 mask 255.255.255.0

Router(dhcp-config)# client-identifier 01c2.070e.b000.66  --- > please notice that you need to include "01" and change the "." as showed on the example.

Router(dhcp-config)# client-name

Where "c207.0eb0.0000" is the MAC address of the PC.

Microsoft DHCP clients require client identifiers instead of hardware addresses.  The client identifier is formed by concatenating the media type and the MAC  address. For example, the Microsoft client identifier for Ethernet address  b708.1388.f166 is 01b7.0813.88f1.66, where 01 represents the Ethernet media  type. For a list of media type codes, refer to the "Address Resolution Protocol  Parameters" section of RFC 1700, Assigned Numbers.

To specify the hardware address of a Dynamic Host  Configuration Protocol (DHCP) client, use the hardware-address DHCP pool  configuration command. It is valid for manual bindings only.

Regards,

Franco

Hello Franco,

The windows computers are reporting their names correctly on network scanning.  I am having problems with non windows devices, such as several IP based thermostats, and IPMI 2.0 on a server.  Any suggestions?

Best Regards, Roger

Did you try the client-identifier with those devices? I guess they are non RFC compliant and that's why you are having problems.

Franco

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card