Views
Helpful
Replies

Do i need a router?

Pointbreak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi team,

I am new to the routing and switching field. So it would be great if u could clarify the part.

In a building i a planning to design a network .Say 50 computers and 25 voice end points at first floor, 30 PC and 20 voice endpoints at 2nd floor and 30 PC at third floor. My question is do i need a router here or it is fine if i connect all the servers and end points to switch altogether. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You could certainly connect all the switches together and have a simple flat network. 

Typically for VoIP (especially if Cisco) you would have a seperate voice VLAN, with the phone/PC sharing a single switch port.

You would want to route between those VLANs, and for this you could use either:

1) A layer-3 switch

2) A router or firewall - e.g. if you have a router or firewall for WAN or Internet, use that to route between the VLANs.

You may even want to have seperate VLANs per floor, however given your level of experience and the size of your network I would not bother.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As a rough rule of thumb, you often don't need multiple subnets until the number of IP hosts cannot be contained by a /24 or /25.  What you've described falls within a /24, on the low side.

VoIP hosts do add a wrinkle, as you normally want to have them in their own subnet/VLAN, but with your number and kinds of hosts it's likely to still be okay.  VoIP subnet/VLAN requirements are also influenced by whether a VoIP device shares a port with a data host.  (It's generally "better", if the two devices share a port, for them to have their own VLANs.)

If you do decide to use multiple VLANs/subnets, most small "true" routers do not have the performance capacity for typical LAN bandwidths.  This is also true for many small firewalls too.  You would really want a L3 switch, which will add to your cost versus having just L2 switches.

If you need to go off-site, e.g. Internet access, for that you would want a small "true" router or firewall, but again, if you're going to do LAN routing, I would still recommend a L3 switch for that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You could certainly connect all the switches together and have a simple flat network. 

Typically for VoIP (especially if Cisco) you would have a seperate voice VLAN, with the phone/PC sharing a single switch port.

You would want to route between those VLANs, and for this you could use either:

1) A layer-3 switch

2) A router or firewall - e.g. if you have a router or firewall for WAN or Internet, use that to route between the VLANs.

You may even want to have seperate VLANs per floor, however given your level of experience and the size of your network I would not bother.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As a rough rule of thumb, you often don't need multiple subnets until the number of IP hosts cannot be contained by a /24 or /25.  What you've described falls within a /24, on the low side.

VoIP hosts do add a wrinkle, as you normally want to have them in their own subnet/VLAN, but with your number and kinds of hosts it's likely to still be okay.  VoIP subnet/VLAN requirements are also influenced by whether a VoIP device shares a port with a data host.  (It's generally "better", if the two devices share a port, for them to have their own VLANs.)

If you do decide to use multiple VLANs/subnets, most small "true" routers do not have the performance capacity for typical LAN bandwidths.  This is also true for many small firewalls too.  You would really want a L3 switch, which will add to your cost versus having just L2 switches.

If you need to go off-site, e.g. Internet access, for that you would want a small "true" router or firewall, but again, if you're going to do LAN routing, I would still recommend a L3 switch for that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card