Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Default route over local internet circuit

Greetings !

Have attached my network setup with this please go through the attachment which will help you to know my network setup

1.) We have the BGP configured for the MPLS Circuit in which we have the default route injected from Data center through the BGP
2.) And we have configure EIGRP between router and route switch
3.) As of now we don’t have any default route configured in our branch office routers or route switch which is learned through from Data center through BGP
4.) All site traffic hits Primary Core Switch, based on the route-map in LAN interface, Cloud proxy bound Internet will egress out of local internet link. All the data center traffic and
other non proxied internet traffic will go through the BGP over MPLS circuit
5.) Incase of Internet link down, IPSLA track(in route-map) helps to divert the traffic to primary MPLS link
6.) We are planning to inject the default route through the local internet as primary instead of using the default route from the data center for all non-proxied internet traffic along with the
proxied traffic that is already being routed over the local internet.

My question is will the default route which I am going to configured on the primary switch will take the precedence over the default route learned through the BGP(Primary)
or other wise EIGRP (between router and route switch)

Else will it create any routing loop in my environment please suggest with the best solution.

Configuration example for Static Default route with IPSLA track

ip route <any public IP> <firewall-ip> name ip_sla ----> This is for IPSLA track for the default route

ip sla 1
icmp-echo <IP address> source-interface <Interface namd>
frequency 60
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <firewall-ip> name local-egress track 1

3 Replies 3

Dmitri Popkov
Level 1
Level 1

By default, static routes take precedence over all other router, expect connected, due to lowest AD.

Check this one please - http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/15986-admin-distance.html

Thanks for the response of Dmitri please correct me if my understanding is correct.

All the learned routes will go through the MPLS via BGP first and then rest of the default routes will go through my internet circuit which take over the default route learned through BGP/ EIGRP

Do i need to do any configuration  modification in EIGRP configured between Router and Route switch as i am going to configure static default route.

As, i have correctly understood you. You dont have to do any modification. And you have got it correctly.

But anyway - its a production enviroment and i suggest you to test such scenario in lab.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco