cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether-channel on Cisco router.

tin.ngo
Level 1
Level 1

I know it is possible to configure Etherchannel on a Cisco switch. A customer is asking if this can be done on a Cisco router (combining 2 ethernet interfaces into 1) for redundancy in case 1 interface go down. Can anyone confirm whether this can be done? Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Hi!

What model router is it???

Regards,

AbhisheK

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

look at this link: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t57952-etherchannel-between-switch-and-router.html

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Are there any other good ways of attaching a router to a switch (or pair of switches) in a fault tolerant manner?

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

IMO, yes, otherwise, it is too costly to use router port for only increase the bandwidth but the WAN side is low bandwidth only. Normally, I could suggest to use L3 switch instead of router to enable Etherchannel.

Hope this helps.

I found the following FAQ on the Cisco 2800 page:

Q. Do the LAN interfaces on the platforms support aggregation through EtherChannel or PAGP technologies?

A. No, the onboard LAN interfaces do not support aggregation technologies. Aggregation can be achieved using one of the EtherSwitch network modules, or the EtherSwitch Service Module. No modules support aggregation in the Cisco 2801.

This means it is possible on a router with a Etherswitch module (a switch basically).

The 1800 fixed series router has 8 LAN port built-in. Does any one know if these Lanport can be configured for Ether-channel?

No Support for Etherchannel.

Regards,

Arul

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You can do it only if its ESW not the FE Routed Interfaces on the Router.

Moreover, you can suggest the customer to look into the options of HSRP as otherwise even if the Interfaces are made fault-tolerent, the Router becomes the Single-Point of Failure.

Regards,

Wilso Samuel

PS: Kindly rate if it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card