cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Ping and Traceroute correctly from IP transit router?

kinwai
Level 1
Level 1

Feels bad to ask this simple question (perhaps to some) but it simply don't make sense to me

Here's the scenario

==> The router is carrying full bgp table with multiple IP transit providers (ASR1002X)

I have done policy-map for certain IP from my LAN facing interface to force route them to certain provider.

All using default vrf

Example :

X.X.X.28 will have a next-hop IP pointing to IP transit provider 1

X.X.X.29 will have a next-hop IP pointing to IP transit provider 2

This certainly works but i have to go to let's say a VM to keep changing between IP addresses in order to test the route and latency of this certain provider 

The problem comes when i use traceroute or ping with source IP specified on ASR1002X

For example:

Traceroute will always shows that the path travelled via the preferred routing path in my bgp table regardless of the interface specified (source ip of different IP transit providers)

Ping wise, amazingly it does show different latency . 

For example: Provider 1 have latency of 57ms while Provider 2 have latency of 54ms.

However, if i use my VM to do the same test, the latency is able the same for both providers... 

Perhaps i should run vrf for different providers? or? what should i do to meet this simple yet complex requirement to me?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

So you want the traffic sourced on the router itself to also be policy routed ? 

If so you need to use the "ip local policy route-map ..." command. 

Jon

View solution in original post

Legend! I think this is the command I'm looking for. Didn't know this command exist till now. Will try it tomorrow! 

If it works, i will accept as solution

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps there are things in your environment that I do not understand correctly. But what I think I understand is that you have configured Policy Based Routing to route some traffic differently. And that you are testing from the router specifying the source address to measure some things. PBR acts on traffic that arrives on the router interface that has the specified source address. Traffic originated on the router, even though it may use the specified source address, will not be processed by PBR.

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick, your understanding is correct. For PBR, i'm able to apply it to an interface (ie: LAN interface), therefore it is routing the way i wanted it.

>>>  Traffic originated on the router, even though it may use the specified source address, will not be processed by PBR.

Yes

My issue is more of whenever i ping or traceroute using certain source IP (or source interface), the packets will always traverse based on my main routing table (nothing wrong)

However, what i'm desired or looking for is whenever i specified the source IP (or source interface), the packets shall "leave on it's associated interface" instead of following the main routing table. 

Just wondering is there any tips or special commands to make this happens.  

So you want the traffic sourced on the router itself to also be policy routed ? 

If so you need to use the "ip local policy route-map ..." command. 

Jon

Legend! I think this is the command I'm looking for. Didn't know this command exist till now. Will try it tomorrow! 

If it works, i will accept as solution

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card