Views
Helpful
Replies

influencing eigrp path over tunnel interfaces

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

If I have 2 routers using hsrp, each router has a tunnel to the remote site over its WAN connection, How can you influence the path eigrp takes over a tunnel? ie which tunnel to choose cause surely they would be the same AD to reach?

cheers

Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

you can change delay on the tunnel interface as EIGRP metric is cumulative in delay

interface tunnel x

delay  Y

where delay is expressed in tens of microseconds

you can check current settings of delay with

show interface tunnel x

You should increase delay from default value on the tunnel you don't want to use.

However, you should consider if it is not better to leave each router to use its own tunnel to reach the remote site as it happens now.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How about by setting different delay values on the two tunnels?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

you can change delay on the tunnel interface as EIGRP metric is cumulative in delay

interface tunnel x

delay  Y

where delay is expressed in tens of microseconds

you can check current settings of delay with

show interface tunnel x

You should increase delay from default value on the tunnel you don't want to use.

However, you should consider if it is not better to leave each router to use its own tunnel to reach the remote site as it happens now.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

pnagpal1983
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Giuseppe,

I have done the same in my branch routers (two of them), but this is not reflecting in routing table at HO side. is there anything else that i need to do after changing delay? like clearing relationship or something else.

I labbed this up in GNS3 and it worked without any clearing of neighbors.

I am stuck now.. :-(

thanks in advance,

Pulkit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card