cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is TCP/IP model preferred over OSI model?

saishreevj
Level 1
Level 1

Is TCP/IP model preferred over OSI model?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSI model seems to 'preferred" when teaching how to use layers to abstract distinct function processing within network communication processing.  "Real world", unlikely most network stacks really implements all the layers.

TCP/IP model, not much, I believe, taught as to how a network stack might be separated into functional layers, but probably comes much closer to "real world" stack implementations, since TCP/IP are very much real world.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure what you mean : below information helps.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/OSI-vs-TCP-IP-Reference-Model

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi I mean do we refer TCP/IP model in present networks?

yes.. @Joseph W. Doherty  given good input ..Cheers!

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSI model seems to 'preferred" when teaching how to use layers to abstract distinct function processing within network communication processing.  "Real world", unlikely most network stacks really implements all the layers.

TCP/IP model, not much, I believe, taught as to how a network stack might be separated into functional layers, but probably comes much closer to "real world" stack implementations, since TCP/IP are very much real world.

Perhaps it would help if we could get some clarification about the context of the question. If we are looking more abstractly about how networks operate then the OSI model is probably preferred. It is more extensive in its treatment of network communications. For example its use of the presentation layer. In IBM SNA communications the network process on the host would process how data would be positioned on the user terminal.

If we are looking at it as less abstract and more in terms of how modern networks operate then the TCP/IP model would certainly be preferred.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card