cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IWAN and multiple VRFs

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I'm looking for a way to scale our IWAN design so that it might be able to accommodate an acquisition while keeping the acquired company separate from existing companies (no connectivity between a spoke in subsidiary A to subsidiary B).  Both subsidiaries would access resources at hub, but I wouldn't want a spoke in subsidiary A to hairpin off the hub and connect to a spoke in subsidiary B.  I'm thinking I could accomplish that piece using eigrp address families, 1 per subsidiary, and not route between them.  

In the illustration provided, the hub asr would use its gig 0/0/0 interface as the source for 2 different tunnel interfaces, 1 per subsidiary.  BGP would be used on that link to the next hop and service provider network to reach remote spoke tunnel endpoints.  I think that's all sound, but my question relates to how/if IWAN would still work for both subsidiaries.  Could I mark both tunnel interfaces as path MPLS for example?  The idea being that subsidiaries using either tu10 or tu20 could use PfR.  

thank you, 

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amit Goyal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bill,

iWAN is possible for specific VRF context. A very basic sample configuration as below.

domain IWAN
 vrf A
  master hub
   source-interface Loopback10
 vrf B
  master hub
   source-interface Loopback20

HTH

-Amit

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Amit Goyal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bill,

iWAN is possible for specific VRF context. A very basic sample configuration as below.

domain IWAN
 vrf A
  master hub
   source-interface Loopback10
 vrf B
  master hub
   source-interface Loopback20

HTH

-Amit

Thanks Amit.  Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for.  It seems obvious now that you pointed it out.  Am I correct in understanding then the single MC, and all the data center networks for that matter, will remain accessible to both VRFs via the global routing table on the LAN side of the ASR?  And to expand a little on the remainder of the necessary config, I would create 2 address families under eigrp and tie my tunnel interfaces to each, e.g.

router eigrp IWAN
 address-family ipv4 unicast vrf A
 af-interface Tunnel10
   hello-interval 20
   hold-time 60
   no split-horizon

exit-af-interface

network 10.10.0.0 0.0.255.255  <- tunnel 10 subnet

address-family ipv4 unicast vrf B
 af-interface Tunnel20
   hello-interval 20
   hold-time 60
   no split-horizon

exit-af-interface

network 10.20.0.0 0.0.255.255  <- tunnel 20 subnet

int tu10

10.10.1.1 255.255.0.0

tunnel vrf A

int tu20

10.20.1.1 255.255.0.0

tunnel vrf B

Hi William,

Yes, you will have to configure everything independently for each vrf while using iWAN excluding "domain iWAN". It includes below.

1. Independent master hub/borders for each vrf.

2. Independent tunnels for each vrf.

3. independent overlay routing mechanism (BGP or EIGRP) for each vrf.

4. PFR policies

Please rate if it helped.

HTH

-Amit

Hi Amit,

Thx for this clear explanation.

If you say " Independent master hub/borders for each vrf", I guess you mean a separate router per vrf?

Would this still be neccesary in iWAN 2.2? If no when will this be released?

Hi Amit,

It sounds like iWAN can be deployed by ISPs in multi-tenant way where each customer could have multiple branch locations all terminating on the hub in their dedicated VRF.

I heard that there is a limit of 20 VRFs on a hub border router for iwan. That is, there can be upto 20 customers per iwan deployment. Is that correct? 

Spooster IT Services Team
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco