cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for router recomendation

athanz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, if i gave 1Gbps WAN what's the minimum router i've to use ? Looking for ISR 1100 series or ISR 4000 series router. I still don't get why cheap router like Mikro*** can handle more traffic than Cisco router.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sometimes it is hard to give the right justification, I can understand your concern here.

It all depends on the business decision (personally I believe that as long it work for an organisation it does not matter what product- it should work as expected, there no outage which can cause for business loose money, this were the deciding the device factors here)

here is the model comparison, for your requirement of 1GB 4451 or above is recommended - with encryption.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/models-comparison.html

I did use Linux based and later Microtik and other opensource routers - in fact, if time permits you can build one. are this acceptable for business / experts available to maintain that device if the person builds not available when the issues reported?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If i buy the boost license, do i need to buy the performance license first ?

if your performance License meet the requirement you do not need boost license.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

So it's better to upgrade directly to boost license

You should ask yourself is you really need a router or if you can also use a firewall. A Firepower 1020 could match your needs and costs much less than a capable ISR.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Router for a gig WAN depends much on whether you want to guarantee being able to sustain gig rate 100% of the time. If not 100%, it also depend on how the lower utilization is actually used.

There are ISR 4000 series routers that can (usually) guarantee sustained gig, such as the 4451 or 4461 with a performance license. With a boost license, lessor 4K models might be able to support a gig WAN link.

As for the 1000 series, they are documented as supporting 200 to 350 Mbps, encrypted traffic. Hard to find any documentation for unencrypted performance, but did find one mention they will do gig (remember for gig WAN you need 2 gig of performance). I suspect a 1000 is a bit "light" for a gig WAN.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card