Views
Helpful
Replies

loopback ip address selection

bbuhlman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to configure loopback0 for an eBGP router-id instead of using Vlan1's ip address. I know how to do this but my question is, what criteria should I use for selecting what IP goes onto loopback0? This is a production 7609 router we use as a customer edge device.

Can the loopback address be part of an existing subnet on another configured up interface or does it have part of a subnet that isn't used anywere else? I know I can use a loopback for a host of other duties but I don't want to make a mistake with the IP and then have to change it later. I have a routable subnet I've been using for serial links (/30), would this be a good candidate?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

We typically keep a block of addresses (8 or 16 depending on the size of the office) for loopback IPs on routers and layer 3 switches. This allows us to summarise the entire block instead of advertising host routes around.

On top of that, we set aside a /24 to use for loopbacks on our CE routers. This block is summarised at out data centre to keep the table small, but the /32 routes are maintained in the MPLS cloud for reachability checks and peering.

The router definitely won't let you put a /32 on a loopback if it's part of a larger subnet on another interface. If you use your /30, you get 4 loopbacks that you can use in that office or elsewhere, depending on how you choose to advertise/summarise that block. Without knowing more details about your situation, that may be your best bet.

Regards,

Ryan Morris

CCIE #18953

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

4rmorris
Level 1
Level 1

We typically keep a block of addresses (8 or 16 depending on the size of the office) for loopback IPs on routers and layer 3 switches. This allows us to summarise the entire block instead of advertising host routes around.

On top of that, we set aside a /24 to use for loopbacks on our CE routers. This block is summarised at out data centre to keep the table small, but the /32 routes are maintained in the MPLS cloud for reachability checks and peering.

The router definitely won't let you put a /32 on a loopback if it's part of a larger subnet on another interface. If you use your /30, you get 4 loopbacks that you can use in that office or elsewhere, depending on how you choose to advertise/summarise that block. Without knowing more details about your situation, that may be your best bet.

Regards,

Ryan Morris

CCIE #18953

Thanks Ryan,

I picked an unused /24 that we still had available. I'll use the whole thing for loopbacks like you did. Makes sense.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card