Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT with DMZ

sebastien3
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Currently I have a central router that allows me to manage backup via a secondary link. It works correctly !

Cisco_DMZ.JPG

Now I have to add a firewall which will be in DMZ. All ISP-1 and IPS-2 (if ISP-1 become down) traffic must enter the Firewall.

My problem is the use of the ip nat inside source static command for DMZ to be able to manage the two ISPs in the event of a switchover.

interface GigabitEthernet0
  description * DMZ to Firewall .100 *
 ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 ip virtual-reassembly in
!
interface GigabitEthernet8
 description * Primary WAN *
 ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly in
!
interface GigabitEthernet9
 description * Secondary WAN *
 ip address 2.2.2.1 255.255.255.252
 ip nat outside
 ip virtual-reassembly in
!
ip nat inside source route-map ISP-1 interface GigabitEthernet8 overload
ip nat inside source route-map ISP-2 interface GigabitEthernet9 overload
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet8 1.1.1.2 name PRIMARY track 1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 GigabitEthernet9 2.2.2.2 10 name SECONDARY
!
route-map ISP-1 permit 10
 match ip address 101
 match interface GigabitEthernet8
!
route-map ISP-2 permit 10
 match ip address 101
 match interface GigabitEthernet9
!
access-list 101 permit ip 10.0.1.0 0.0.0.255 any
!
ip nat inside source static 10.0.1.100 ISP-1/ISP-2 extendable

How to manage two ip nat inside source static in the case of an active/backup link ?

Thanks

24 Replies 24

Hello
I guess what i am trying to state is why is there a need to nat on the FW , the central rtr is already performing this along with the ISP failover correct, also the central will need to forward all traffic to the FW irrespective if NAT is on the Fw or not.

Lastly the central can also be configured to be accessed internally from the wan & lan via its pubic ip address if required  via NAT hairpinning ON the central rtr 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I don't see the difference in operation at all... Can you show me the configuration you think ?

Thanks

Hi @sebastien3 ,

Did you already read about "list boolean" SLA? We have "and", "or" parameters. In this way, you can test ISP with HTTP, dns, ping, reachability and another stuffs as unique SLA. Maybe that is good for your scenario.

Please let me know if this help you.

Hello

@sebastien3 wrote:

My problem is the use of the ip nat inside source static command for DMZ to be able to manage the two ISPs in the event of a switchove

Apologies its not clear to me why you need to double nat with this setup, the central router is already natting towards both ISPs?
Various nats can accomplish different things, DNAT, LB , Harpinning  etc...if you need to add a rule on the FW then you don't need to double nat for this unless Im missing something fundamental to your requirements, hence why at present its a bit vague to what you want to accomplish:

Are are you wanting to use this 10.0.1.100 too..
*To reach both your isp rtrs with this internal host
*To reach this internal host externally from either ISP
* Nat the same internal host to different public ip addresses, ie: load balancing?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello @paul driver 

*To reach both your isp rtrs with this internal host => Yes

*To reach this internal host externally from either ISP => Yes

* Nat the same internal host to different public ip addresses, ie: load balancing? => No

The firewall uses the ISP 1 exit as a priority. If ISP 1 fails then the firewall must use the exit to ISP 2.

Hello

@sebastien3 wrote:

Hello,

Cisco_DMZ.JPG

@sebastien3 wrote:

The firewall uses the ISP 1 exit as a priority. If ISP 1 fails then the firewall must use the exit to ISP 2

Thank you clarification, so based on this above, You have a couple points of failure  (Firewall and ISP1 rtr)

That first ISP1router is performing the NAT and conditional route failover between ISP1 and the other attached rtrs ISP2, so your firewalls default route should NEVER change as its WAN interface next hop ip address will be the directly connected ip address of that first rtrs LAN interface in your topology

@sebastien3 wrote:

*To reach both your isp rtrs with this internal host => Yes 

*To reach this internal host externally from either ISP => Yes

As I already mentioned, this could be accomplished on that first  ISP1 rtr which directly connected to your FW, as such you DONT need to perform any NAT on the firewall.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello @paul driver 

@paul driver wrote:

Thank you clarification, so based on this above, You have a couple points of failure (Firewall and ISP1 rtr)

This is not too important... The SPOF is managed (duplicate rtr and duplicate firewall in order to do a quick action).The critical point is the fiber cut ! So the ISP 1 rtr must be able to switch automatically to the ADSL router...

As I already mentioned, this could be accomplished on that first ISP1 rtr which directly connected to your FW, as such you DONT need to perform any NAT on the firewall.

You have to explain to me how because I don't understand !

Example:

A server connected behind the Firewall (192.168.200.200) needs to have its port 80 accessible on the WAN IP of the ISP 1 router.

How do you do this ?

This is why you must use ip nat inside source static 10.0.1.100 ISP-1/ISP-2 extendable

Please clarify !

This is why you must use ip nat inside source static 10.0.1.100 ISP-1/ISP-2 extendable <<- this already I send solution for it. 
but you mention you want ip nat inside source static tcp not ip
I already check for solution for this point and there are no command for this case. 

Hello @MHM Cisco World 

I need ip nat inside source static tcp only for a single port to be able to connect in SSH on the router. Then everything else is sent back to the firewall...

if you SSH then NAT will done first and instead of SSH to router the traffic end in ASA, That correct,
but you missing something here you can use any other Public IP instead of using Router Public IP. 
this make you sure if you SSH to Router public IP you SSH to router 
and all other traffic will use other Public IP to access ASA. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card