cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 VDC <- what module ports can be included in same VDC?

Thomas Park
Level 1
Level 1

So If I were to have various type of line cards, (e.g. M1, M2, M1-XL, F1, and F2)

what can be included in the same VDC?

Can I mix M1 and F1 in the same VDC?

I know F2 has to be in their own VDCs.

What about the M1-XL line cards? Can I mix them in F1 and M1?

Thanks

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Note The no limit-resource module-type command allows a mix of F1, M1, M1XL, and M2XL Series modules in the VDC.

Note F2 Series modules cannot exist in the same VDC with F1, M1, M1XL, and M2XL Series modules. Use the limit-resource module-type f2 command to allow only F2 Series modules into a VDC. The ports from F2 Series modules can be allocated like any other ports.

Have a look at the config guide for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_mgmt.html

HTH

Hello All,

i have an issue, i have these modules :

Mod  Ports  Module-Type                         Model              Status

---  -----  ----------------------------------- ------------------ ----------

1    0      Supervisor Module-2                 N7K-SUP2           active *

3    48     1/10 Gbps Ethernet Module           N7K-F248XP-25E     ok

4    24     10 Gbps Ethernet Module             N7K-M224XP-23L     ok

Mod  Sw              Hw

---  --------------  ------

1    6.2(6)          3.0   

3    6.2(6)          1.0   

4    6.2(6)          2.0   

when i mix M2 and F2 on the same VDC, i faced this issue when M2 went down F2 worked as layer 2, is it normal behavior ?

and how i can solve this issue?

Thanks

I would expect this is normal behavior.

Unfortunately, if you mix M2 and F2e in the same VDC, all L3 functions are done by the M2 card. You cannot even configure an interface on the F2e as an L3 interface.

So in normal functions, the F2e won't do any layer 3. In a card failure scenario, I would imagine that the same would hold true.

As far as I know, there's no solution if you combine them in the same VDC. If F2e ports are in their own VDC, they will peform layer 3 functions. But if you combine them, F2e will only do layer 2.

Hi,

Thanks you for replay, but what the binefet, if i am not add this card in the same VDC, is there any way to use this card ?

Thanks

Why not create 2 x VDCs, one for the F2e and one for the M2?

The F2e VDC could be used as an access tier switch and the M2 VDC as a distribution/core tier switch.

Hi,

Already i created two VDCs for each N7k one for access/dist layer and other for for server, and mix M2 and F2e, do want me remove F2e and create another VDC in this case i will have  three VDCs ?

even if i configure  third VDC for F2e for access layer it will be the same if i mix it on one VDC becuase both of them will work as Layer 2.

i don't see any difference :)

Thanks

If you create a VDC with interfaces from only the F2e, it will perform layer 3.

F2e can do layer 3 only if it's in a VDC without M cards. Check out the supported functions on this matrix. It just doesn't mention that you can't mix the F2e with M for layer 3 to work.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/models-comparison.html#~tab-c

Also, if you do decide to create another VDC, make sure you get the port-groups correct. Some cards have restrictions on which ports must be in the same VDC with other ports on the same card.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/vdc_nx-os_cfg/vdc_mgmt.html

HI,

the problem is i have two VDC each VDC must has interface support 10G and 1G, 

and M2 only support 10G, is there any other card i can replace F2e will work with M2 card in the same VDC support 1G/10G and have the Fe2 cars feature?

Thanks

The F2e cards support both 1 and 10Gb connections depending on which SFP you use.

What was the purpose for purchasing the M card? Do you need OTV support?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can I mix M1 and F1 in the same VDC?

Yes you can.

I know F2 has to be in their own VDCs.

Legacy F2 card has to be in it's on VDC.  Cisco released the F2e last December 2012 and WILL BE fixing this technical fault.  So currently, the F2e card will need to be in the same VDC but future software release will allow the F2e to co-exist with F1, M1 and M2 cards.

Professor Leo,

Do you know the time frame for F2e cards to commingle with other cards in the same VDC?

Reza

Professor Leo, 

Don't call me that!  I'm nothing but a mad network guy.

Do you know the time frame for F2e cards to commingle with other cards in the same VDC?

Don't know.  I get more news from this Forum than from our Cisco SE.  In some cases I get to tell our SE what's going on.  Sad.  Very saaaad.

My guess, Reza, something should be coming up by the before the end of this year.  

Leo,

Don't call me that!  I'm nothing but a mad network guy.

but smart as whip

Don't know.  I get more news from this Forum than from our Cisco SE.  In  some cases I get to tell our SE what's going on.  Sad.  Very saaaad.

very true, the issue is some of the SEs just concentrate or I should say specialized only in one area and if you ask a question outside that, they have to call the BU.

As you already know, in this fourms, we deal will real networks and real issues which is very cool.

Reza

Thanks for the kind words, Reza.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card