Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping issue

Hi Netpros,

It looks to me a very strange behavior, I cannot ping from my Router to the Servers/Workstations, but I can ping vice-versa. What could cause such a problem??

Thanks in advance for queries.

23 Replies 23

This could be a routing issue then, though I'm not sure. I might guess the routing issue is on the workstation. Use a route print (on MS Windows platform) to see the route table for the systems.

Also, the problem could be a duplicate ip address issue. Confirm that you do not have two systems with the same ip address, especially same ip address with the router. Confirm that the mac addresses you see on the arp table of the system, is the mac address of the router and vice versa.

Please update us the result, we will like to know the outcome.

Hi Olorunloba,

Thanks for the query. I will start my diagnostic again from the scrath and post an update soon.

Regards

Faiz

To my thinking routing on the PC side is ok, after PING is working in this direction.

Are we sure there is a route on the router?

How about classless routing.

Hmmm, see my thinking.

PC is connected to router ethernet interface, so most likely they should be on the same subnet. You perform 2 pings, one sourced from the ethernet interface, and the other sourced from the LAN interface.

The one sourced from the LAN interface does not reply, but the serial does. There is no fancy config, no policy base routing on the router, hence the forward path for both pings should be the same, since the destination is the same. I therefore assume that in both situations the packet get to the PC.

I will also assume that the PC will reply to both, since there are no firewalls. But the destination ip are now different, and hence the return path could be different. The router recieves the packet for the serial but not for the ethernet ip. This will imply that the reverse path for the ethernet ip is not ok. This however contradicts the fact that from the PC, pings were going to the router ethernet interface.

The only thing I can think of is that the replies to those routers ethernet interface were coming from another rogue device. Which will also explain the reason why normal pings from the router was not going through. A proxy-arp scenario could still allow pings to go through to and from the serial interface.

Theory, theory, theory. I hope the original poster can shed more light on the practical situation.

I agree that we need some clarification from the original poster. Perhaps faizm can supply some information to help us understand what is happening. In particular I would like some clarification of the topology: for at least one of the end stations involved what is its address, its mask, and its default-gateway. The config that he posted shows just one LAN interface and 2 serial interfaces. It also has a very interesting static route:

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.6

is there any significance in network 192.168.1.0? And what is at 10.1.1.6? Is it another router? Could it be the default gateway for the end stations?

If we can get this information perhaps we will figure out what the problem is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

andysaykao
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem to this once.

Topology: Internet <- Cisco 827 <- Laptop (using /29)

Laptop could not ping the Cisco 827, but the Cisco 827 could ping the Laptop.

I did a quick fix by changing the Laptop's IP address to use another IP address in the /29 range and then the Laptop was able to ping the Cisco 827.

I didn't investigate further sorry...

Hi,

I had a similar issue with one of the machine that machine was not able to ping firwall ip address but all ip address in the local network.

only thing what we did is we put an static ip address in machine and it started working brfore it has a DHCP ip address.

Thanks

So even you can try putting static ip address if it is in DHCP.

change the speed 100 to speed auto in the fast ethernet interface. this is the problem with speed mismatch.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Have you verified the subnet masks on both sides to see that they are the same?

It might also be helpful if you could bring up Ethereal (www.ethereal.com - it's free) on the PC and look for the inbound and outbound pings to verify the source and destination addresses (and possibly MACs, since they are all on a common LAN).

It sounds like a mask problem to me.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card