Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reaching an IP inside global from the inside network

Is it possible to reach an IP Inside global address from the inside network (or LAN) on a cisco router when doing NAT?

The case is the following:

A client who doesnt have a DMZ told me he was having issues with his web application only from his LAN, meaning outside the LAN on the internet the application runs fine, the issue is the public IP Address is referenced on many links in the web application and when people is using the application from the LAN they cannot reach the public IP address becouse this is being nat-ed...

when packets to the public address reach the router inside interface i guess it is routing them instead of realizing that the public address is being statically nat-ed...

The configs are as follows:

interface FastEthernet4

desc WAN

ip address 190.120.14.2 255.255.255.248

ip nat outside

!

interface Vlan1

description LAN

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

ip nat inside source list 1 interface FastEthernet4 overload

ip nat inside source static 192.168.1.27 190.120.14.4

It has to some workaround to make this works...Again the problem is: clients in the LAN cannot reach statically nat-ed address defined as inside global, so the clients cannot reach the local web server using the public nat-ed address of the webserver.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Wilfredo Díaz

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BigDawgFelton
Level 1
Level 1

I am actually working on an issue that is the exact same thing. I have figured out the work around this issue as the general NAT setup where you define an outside and inside interface.

You can use the NAT virtual interface by using the ip nat enable command on the interfaces and removing the ip nat outside/inside commands.

You also need to change your NAT statement from:

ip nat inside source list

To:

ip source list ......

I have seen many weird things using the NVI interface. It seems buggy with IOS and I feel it may depend on your router and or version of IOS. Currently I have everything configured but my NAT statement doesn't keep the overload portion of the command in the running config even though I entered it.

If you decide to go this route you can confirm you are using the NVI interface by using the command:

Show ip nat nvi translations

If you see entries here things are working correctly. You shouldnt see new entries under:

Show ip nat translations

I would like to work with you and anyone else on here to solve this problem. It sounds like many are still trying to find work arounds to browse to the inside global address to contact their internal server.

Elton

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

BigDawgFelton
Level 1
Level 1

I am actually working on an issue that is the exact same thing. I have figured out the work around this issue as the general NAT setup where you define an outside and inside interface.

You can use the NAT virtual interface by using the ip nat enable command on the interfaces and removing the ip nat outside/inside commands.

You also need to change your NAT statement from:

ip nat inside source list

To:

ip source list ......

I have seen many weird things using the NVI interface. It seems buggy with IOS and I feel it may depend on your router and or version of IOS. Currently I have everything configured but my NAT statement doesn't keep the overload portion of the command in the running config even though I entered it.

If you decide to go this route you can confirm you are using the NVI interface by using the command:

Show ip nat nvi translations

If you see entries here things are working correctly. You shouldnt see new entries under:

Show ip nat translations

I would like to work with you and anyone else on here to solve this problem. It sounds like many are still trying to find work arounds to browse to the inside global address to contact their internal server.

Elton

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I couldnt even wait till tomorrow i had to setup some virtual machines and the solution worked!!! (on gns3) worked like a charm xD

i had never seen that approach, thanks a lot... i knew there was to be a way... and thanks to you i have found it, u re awesome!... first thing on the morning im going to implement this (meanwhile i had setup a DMZ for the client that was having the problem but i definitively going to try this on that network xD)

Regards

Wilfredo Diaz

Elton is absolutely correct. This is the only thing which can be performed from networking side. Unfortunately, you loose the flexibility of unable to specify which interface is inside/outside & probably some won't permit you to have route-maps for translation control. One more solution from application point of view is Split DNS.

Anyways, good that it's sorted out. But do keep the above issues in mind as well.

Regards

Vivek

Thanks for your comments they are being taken into consideration...

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card