cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing static route from EIGRP to BGP

amarula115
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to create static route at one of my location's core switch and point it to the firewall (route is for one of the public IPs. I am running EIGRP on the core and then I distribute routes into BGP to my WAN.

I don't want to redistribute all static route from the core switch but this particular route only.

Sample:

There are two static routes:

222.222.222.222 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1

222.222.222.111 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1

How to configure core switch to distribute from EIGRP to BGP  222.222.222.222 255.355.255.255 1.1.1.1  only?

I believe I need to create route-map, than access list in which I would specify the IP which I want to distribute.

Something like this:

access-list 22 permit 222.222.222.222

route-map TEST permit 20
match ip address 22

router eigrp 111

redistribute static route-map TEST

Is this a way to do this or there are better ways to do it.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello

To redistribute an eigrp route from eigrp into bgp

router bgp xx
redistribute eigrp xxx route-map  TEST

As for a static route on that particlar router
router bgp xx
redistribute static route-map  TEST

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Thank you, that is correct if you want to redistribute 1 route you can add a tag and it will redistribute just one.

So you will have a better control of what you desire to redistribute. 

ip route 222.222.222.222 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  tag 100

ip route 222.222.222.111 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  

route-map REDISTRIBUTE permit 5

match tag 100

router eigrp 111

redistribute static route-map REDISTRIBUTE metric 100000 10 255 1 1500

it will redistribute the route 222.222.222.222/32 only

You can use ACL, Prefixes, Tags, etc. Tag is basically a fancy way to redistribute the static route. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello @paul driver,

Yes, I am thinking that you are right, No need it but I made correct to @Julio E. Moisa. configuration.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

10 Replies 10

Hello

To redistribute an eigrp route from eigrp into bgp

router bgp xx
redistribute eigrp xxx route-map  TEST

As for a static route on that particlar router
router bgp xx
redistribute static route-map  TEST

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi

Other way additional to Paul's comments is adding a tag to the static routes, for example:

ip route 222.222.222.222 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  tag 100

ip route 222.222.222.111 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  tag 100

match tag 100

router eigrp 111

It will redistribute the static routes with tag 100 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I am bit confused. I want to redistribute only one of these two routes. If I mark both of them with tag 100 and then redistribute routes tagged with tag 100 both of them will be redistributed. Right?

HI,

@ I hope @Julio E. Moisa missed your point that you need to redistribution only one route. If you want to redistribution only one route then you must  tag with 100 to only one route.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Thank you, that is correct if you want to redistribute 1 route you can add a tag and it will redistribute just one.

So you will have a better control of what you desire to redistribute. 

ip route 222.222.222.222 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  tag 100

ip route 222.222.222.111 255.255.255.255 1.1.1.1  

match tag 100

router eigrp 111

it will redistribute the route 222.222.222.222/32 only

You can use ACL, Prefixes, Tags, etc. Tag is basically a fancy way to redistribute the static route. 

Hello

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

HI,

@ I hope @Julio E. Moisa missed your point that you need to redistribution only one route. If you want to redistribution only one route then you must  tag with 100 to only one route.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Hello Deepak
Why do you NEED to tag, My undertanding it isnt a requirement to do so more than optional to mark what your are redistributing.

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

You dont have to TAG your redistriubte route, you can do but its not a requirment, as for advertising the eigrp route just specify what route you wish to redistribute in your route-map stanza

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello @paul driver,

Yes, I am thinking that you are right, No need it but I made correct to @Julio E. Moisa. configuration.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

The discussion about controlling redistribution from EIGRP to BGP using a route map is correct, and correct that using tags is an optional alternative. If I am understanding the original post correctly there are multiple static routes that are redistributed into EIGRP. And from EIGRP only certain routes will be redistributed into BGP. I believe the original poster will find that this does not work. The static routes will be in the EIGRP topology table and will be advertised to EIGRP peers. But when redistributing from EIGRP into BGP it will redistribute only "EIGRP" entries. And on the originating device these routes are in the routing table as static and not EIGRP and therefore will not be redistributed.

If the original poster wants specific static routes to be processed by BGP there needs to be either BGP network statements for the specific static routes or redistribution of static into BGP (with controls on the redistribution to allow only the specific static).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you a lot for help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card