cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Suggestion for Multihoming 100Mbps Internet BGP

Ian Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a simple router recomendation for multihoming dual 100Mbps internet connections with BGP routing.  What are the current best practices regarding required resources for the full Internet BGP routing table?  We were thinking of specing a 3945 for this application, but is that overkill?  The customer has a 2821 that is not in use, I'm thinking this would be too slow for Internet BGP routing combined with the 100Mbps line speed.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look E.g  2951, 3925, 3925E, these are slim and fast. Also a budget matter after all.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For dual 100 Mbps, the 2951 might be just a tad on the small side.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure what the full Internet table is up to now, but probably want to allow about 20 MB per peer.

On the other hand, with an ISR that supports PfR, I would recommend it vs. taking the Internet route tables.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ian Brennan wrote:

I am looking for a simple router recomendation for multihoming dual 100Mbps internet connections with BGP routing.  What are the current best practices regarding required resources for the full Internet BGP routing table?  We were thinking of specing a 3945 for this application, but is that overkill?  The customer has a 2821 that is not in use, I'm thinking this would be too slow for Internet BGP routing combined with the 100Mbps line speed.

If you want full duplex, 200 Mbps throughput (400 Mbps total), you're going to need a 3925 to get the throughput - regardless of the BGP capacity. If you can get them to spring for it, an ASR would be better - maybe a 1001, but that'd cost a lot more, I think. Both the ASR1001 and 3945 would be overkill, but provide for expansion - the 3925 will do the job as long as you get enough RAM.

Full BGP table runs to something like 80 meg now, from memory (390 000 odd routes), so you should allow a minimum of 1 gig RAM - I'd be putting in 2 if you can afford it.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: