cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Saving router configuration

lam32123
Level 1
Level 1
I enter what's shown below, yet upon router rebooting (power off/on) I'm taken to Router> prompt instead of 
R1 prompt ! What am I missing in saving a boot configuration to the router ? If I can't save my work,
what's the point ? (host name is one word without space, but not allowed here)

Router>enable Router#configure terminal Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with Control/Z. Router(config)#host name R1 R1(config)#exit R1# *Mar 1 00:07:14: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console R1#copy running-config startup-config Destination filename [startup-config]? Building configuration... [OK] R1#
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This symptom is usually caused when the config register is set to 0x2142 rather than to the default of 0x2102. The best way to check this is in the output of show version.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

You are correct ----- show version revealed the config register was set to 0x2142.  I used the following to change it:

router>enable

router#configure terminal

router(config)#config-register 0x2102

After reboot, it worked !  Thank you very much !  Programming this router makes me feel like I've gone back in time to the late 80's with

MS-DOS v3.3 and programming in Basic A  or assembly language.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Config registy.

Hello,

post the output of:

sh ver

dir flash:

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

post show version and show loggs if any obnormal give indication.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This symptom is usually caused when the config register is set to 0x2142 rather than to the default of 0x2102. The best way to check this is in the output of show version.

HTH

Rick

You are correct ----- show version revealed the config register was set to 0x2142.  I used the following to change it:

router>enable

router#configure terminal

router(config)#config-register 0x2102

After reboot, it worked !  Thank you very much !  Programming this router makes me feel like I've gone back in time to the late 80's with

MS-DOS v3.3 and programming in Basic A  or assembly language.

I am glad that my suggestion was helpful. Appreciate that you confirm that this was the problem and that you included the steps you took to fix the problem. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card