Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial sub interface

caijunjie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If i create put encap frame on a main interface and create a sub interface and then I delete the sub interface using no int se1/0.1 etc .

By doing the above no int se1/0.1, will I see se1/0.1 when i issue sh ip int brief or will i see it as deleted down?

Please help. Thanks.

8 Replies 8

s.arunkumar
Level 3
Level 3

i think u can delet a sub interface only by reloading the router..

just try "default inter ser 1/0"

note this cmd will clear all ur configs under interface.

hey i tried "default int ser 1/0".It doesnt remove the sun interface,but just clears the configuration...

i think options is give "no int ser 1/0.1" and then reload it without saving the config ..

adityamanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

By issuing "no int s1/0.1" or "default int s1/0.1", the sub interface will reflect as deleted down when "sh ip int brie" is given.

i reckon reloading will remove the subinterface but will not a feasible solution on a live network.

Edit - ** the config under the subint will be cleared on giving the above commands.

Yes Aditya is correct.

Only the configs under the sub interface are removed and it is displayed as deleted down in the sh ip int brief command

You need a reboot to clear these interfaces

HTH

Narayan

Thanks everyone for the reply. Here a question. If I issue the no int command, and the sub-interface show as deleted.

1. If i dun reboot the router and i do a write mem, can i say that the sub-interface is basically not present although it show deleted cos sometimes it not advisable to reboot the router in production. ?

2. When i do a write mem and reboot the router later on, will the sub-interface be shown when i issue a sh ip int brief?

PLease help. Thanks.

Alan

1. Correct.

2. No, it won't be shown.

Thanks Edison

chandra.prakash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I think you won't see that deleted interface.

regards

cp gupta

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card