Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up Flex stack on 2960 switches

jdave2780
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to setup my first flex stack and wanted to make sure I do it right.  I have the physical aspect of the stack down.  From what I gathered I have to setup the master switch as the highest priority and then provision the other two switches.  But I have configs on the other two switches, do I have to delete them?  And do I have to setup individual ips for the two slave switches, because from what I saw the master switch is the only one with an ip address?  The master switch is a poe 2960S-48LPS and the two other switches are 2960G-48TD.  Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
But I have configs on the other two switches, do I have to delete them?

Yes.  Delete the config.text and vlan.dat files.  Make sure the two "slave" switches have the same IOS versions as the master.

And do I have to setup individual ips for the two slave switches, because from what I saw the master switch is the only one with an ip address?

No need.  The master will distribute the config to the two new switches.

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Remember to CABLE UP the flex cables FIRST before powering the new switches.  And also power up the two new switches IN THE ORDER of your requirement.

For example, (let's not talk about the master) you want switch 3 to be the "2nd in command" and 2 will be the 3rd.

So you power up switch 3, count up to 10 and power up switch 2.

Does this make sense?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
But I have configs on the other two switches, do I have to delete them?

Yes.  Delete the config.text and vlan.dat files.  Make sure the two "slave" switches have the same IOS versions as the master.

And do I have to setup individual ips for the two slave switches, because from what I saw the master switch is the only one with an ip address?

No need.  The master will distribute the config to the two new switches.

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Remember to CABLE UP the flex cables FIRST before powering the new switches.  And also power up the two new switches IN THE ORDER of your requirement.

For example, (let's not talk about the master) you want switch 3 to be the "2nd in command" and 2 will be the 3rd.

So you power up switch 3, count up to 10 and power up switch 2.

Does this make sense?

thanks leolaohoo for the suggestions and tips.  I really apprecaite it. 

Thanks for the rating, Dave.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need to do anything but hook them up. The stack master will control everythingm just telnet to it and do sh stack to see how is built. For IPS you can use a thing called RPS2300 for more redundancy, or just use your own UPS.

Thanks Paolo for your answer. I really appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card