Views
Helpful
Replies

Static reservation in Router DHCP pool

dastrix80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

So im aware you create a new pool, lets say 'STATIC' which has the client-identifier (mac address) of the host. you also specify the ip you want, with ip host <insert ip mask>

This however fails for me. The client is unreachable.

When I delete the pool and use DHCP, the client works fine.

Any thoughts?  Cisco 3945 running 15.2

!
ip dhcp pool LAN
 network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0
 dns-server 192.168.0.254 202.142.142.142
 default-router 192.168.0.254
 lease infinite
!
ip dhcp pool STATIC
 host 192.168.0.141 255.255.255.0
 client-identifier 1cca.e371.06fd

Even appending 01 for ethernet makes no difference

ip dhcp pool STATIC
 host 192.168.0.141 255.255.255.0
 client-identifier 011c.cae3.7106.fd

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you run debug dhcp detail and debug dhcp server events on the router and verify that the client identifier you have configured is actually the one that the end station uses for dhcp. 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

HI Dennis, ive ran those debugs and when the second pool is setup for STATIC, i see nothing from this host.

The host works fine whe using DHCP from the normal pool

Internet 192.168.0.22 32 6c94.f8ea.b6d4 ARPA Vlan1
Internet 192.168.0.23 0 1cca.e371.06fd ARPA Vlan1

3945-KK#ping 192.168.0.23
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.0.23, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms
3945-KK#

Try removing the "default-router" command from under the STATIC pool. This is already inherited.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

I tried this also.

I think i have hardware issue with the device connected, the port is showing up but theres no mac learnt. It was pingable before also.. It goes up and down :/

run wireshark on the connecting end point and see if it is getting anything back, dhcp related from the router

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hello

How are you testing this, I mean what client are you using, Is it in a virtula lab like gns3?

Set the client interfce so to tell dhcp to use he mac address of the client and any switchport its connect to.
int x/x
ip address dhcp client-id x/x

In any case you be able to see what mac address is being used  for dhcp in a debug
Debug dhcp det

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

its a intercom from a company called Doorbird and I think its faulty so hold fire on further troubleshooting

Cheers

Kris

Hi Paul

I dont understand these commands. I have a device on the LAN, ona 3560E. Do these go on the VLAN1 of the router??

Cheers

Hello

As I suggestion that command if you were only lab testing within a simualter like GNS3 or had a routed interface you needed to obtain a dhcp allowcation. not a physcal bespoke client.

Are you still experiencing this issue? - if so have you applied a debug on the router/switch to see what is happenng or maybe a wireshark capture from the client itself?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul;

Using hardware address I got it working today for one of my clients! Ill try the other one tomorrow

This is my home network

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card