cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP times out when installing IOS on Cisco 1841

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I am attempting to upgrade the IOS on a Cisco 1841 that I have on my test network. The TFTP connection just times out. I am using tftp32.

This is what I have configured:

Ran this command on interface that is connected to laptop with TFTP installed:

#ip tftp source-interface fa0/1

Can ping both ways to and from router interface

Firewall on laptop off

Port 69 on TFTP server

speed auto

duplex auto

Could the IOS file itself be corrupt in some way? Is there a way I check to see if the IOS file okay? Could something be wrong with the flash memory?

router6_side#show flash
-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path
1 23082280 Feb 10 2010 15:35:40 +00:00 c1841-ipbase-mz.124-15.T12.bin
2 2898 Feb 10 2010 15:39:20 +00:00 cpconfig-18xx.cfg
3 2324992 Feb 10 2010 15:39:44 +00:00 cpexpress.tar
4 1038 Feb 10 2010 15:39:58 +00:00 home.shtml
5 115712 Feb 10 2010 15:40:10 +00:00 home.tar
6 527849 Feb 10 2010 15:40:26 +00:00 128MB.sdf
7 1697952 Feb 10 2010 15:40:50 +00:00 securedesktop-ios-3.1.1.45-k9.pkg
8 415956 Feb 10 2010 15:41:08 +00:00 sslclient-win-1.1.4.176.pkg
9 115712 Sep 22 2016 13:43:56 +00:00 exit

36794368 bytes available (28303360 bytes used)

Does anybody have any ideas about how to fix this. I have included screen shots.

Thank you.

Putty error.pngTFTP server.png

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Have you tried changing your tftp command from 172.168.7.3 to 192.168.7.5? The router is looking for the address of the tftp server, not the interface on which is is connected too. Being able to ping both ways is a good sign of connectivity but pointing to the wrong address is where your issue is. I have never used the tftp source-interface command so I could be wrong. But try changing that your command on the router to point to 172.168.7.5.

View solution in original post

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As already suggested the answer to the Address or name of remote host []? question should read 192.168.7.5 not 192.168.7.3.

Also this address (192.168.7.5) should be seen at the Tftpd32: Settings page with the Bind TFTP to this address line (not 127.0.0.1).

Best regards,

Antonin

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Clearly the original problem was specifying an incorrect address in attempting to copy the new file. After that was corrected a new problem is encountered which is that there is not enough space in flash to contain the new image file. The original post shows us a couple of things that might relate to this:

- here is the amount of space available in flash

36794368 bytes available

but we do not know the size of the new image file. So we do not know how much more space is needed.

- I note that the existing image running on the router is IP Base and that the image being downloaded is Advanced Enterprise. Advanced Enterprise is certainly going to be bigger than IP Base. So perhaps the solution is to download the IP Base new version.

- If the original poster really does want to run the Advanced Enterprise image then probably the alternative is to delete the existing image file from flash. The router will continue to run just fine even if the image file is deleted while a new image is being downloaded. But if anything causes the router to reload then there is a significant problem. So be sure to make a copy of the existing image file on the tftp server just in case you need it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If the router is still in ROMMON, issue the command "format flash:".
Once the format is complete, eject the CF, copy the IOS from the computer to the CF.
Insert the CF back into the router and try booting again.

18 Replies 18

Zachary Ballard
Level 1
Level 1

Just at a quick glance, it looks like your address on your tftp32 says 192.168.7.5(I could be wrong, its cut off) and on your switch you are pointing to 192.168.7.3

Yes, the laptop that has the tftp server installed has a static IP address of, 192.168.7.5

The static IP address of the fa0/1 interface on the 1841 router is, 192.168.7.3

I can ping both ways.

Thank you.

Have you tried changing your tftp command from 172.168.7.3 to 192.168.7.5? The router is looking for the address of the tftp server, not the interface on which is is connected too. Being able to ping both ways is a good sign of connectivity but pointing to the wrong address is where your issue is. I have never used the tftp source-interface command so I could be wrong. But try changing that your command on the router to point to 172.168.7.5.

Yes, I changed the IP address and I think it worked, but now the error message says:

Not enough space on device

I am assuming that means the flash memory? I need to delete or move the files in flash. I will look up the commands to do that.

Thank you.

Hello,

try different TFTP block sizes:

1841#conf t

1841(config)#ip tftp blocksize or tftp blocksize

Tftp blocksize command  was accepted, but output a warning: flash:blocksize does not exist. Command retained.

What does this mean? Screen shot included.tftp blocksize.png

Thank you.

Hello

Try a different tftp server, like solarwinds (used to be kiwi) it allows transfers of larger tftp files  here

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

After running the tftp blocksize command, now I'm getting an error saying:

no such file or directory.

The .bin is there, I can see it's properties, it's 42.5 MB.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As already suggested the answer to the Address or name of remote host []? question should read 192.168.7.5 not 192.168.7.3.

Also this address (192.168.7.5) should be seen at the Tftpd32: Settings page with the Bind TFTP to this address line (not 127.0.0.1).

Best regards,

Antonin

Yes, changing the IP address got it working. I was able to move some files from flash to the tftp server. Even after moving some IOS files from flash, I was not able to load the K9 IOS into flash. It says:

Not enough space on space on device

When I tried to delete the entire flash, it says:

File not found

I think maybe the flash is bad. I ordered a another one from ebay for $3.00.

I will be back in IT room tomorrow. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks alot!

Thanks for the additional information. Please do let us know the results of trying different flash. But I doubt that this is really the problem. I have worked with customers using 1841s and trying to get 2 image files into flash, especially if they are the Advanced Enterprise Services image, is a challenge. Can you verify that you really want to change this router from running IP Base to running Advanced Enterprise Services?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Clearly the original problem was specifying an incorrect address in attempting to copy the new file. After that was corrected a new problem is encountered which is that there is not enough space in flash to contain the new image file. The original post shows us a couple of things that might relate to this:

- here is the amount of space available in flash

36794368 bytes available

but we do not know the size of the new image file. So we do not know how much more space is needed.

- I note that the existing image running on the router is IP Base and that the image being downloaded is Advanced Enterprise. Advanced Enterprise is certainly going to be bigger than IP Base. So perhaps the solution is to download the IP Base new version.

- If the original poster really does want to run the Advanced Enterprise image then probably the alternative is to delete the existing image file from flash. The router will continue to run just fine even if the image file is deleted while a new image is being downloaded. But if anything causes the router to reload then there is a significant problem. So be sure to make a copy of the existing image file on the tftp server just in case you need it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Eject the CF from router and copy the IOS direct from your computer into the CF.

I think I have a CF reader somewhere. I will try. Office is closing. I will get back to you tomorrow.

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: