Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TTL Expired in transit

I have 2 core switches and I have configured HSRP switch 1 is active IP address is 10.44.16.2 and switch 2 IP address is 10.44.16.2 and my Vir IP address is 10.44.16.1. HSPR for VLAN interface 

The host connected to my dis switch from the morning I'm getting this error TTL Expired in transit through VPN is tracert also it's not completing its keep ongoing.

I checked the IP arp and also I have cleared the arp for that VLAN from core switch 1 show ip arp | in  10.44.16 its showing a lot of IP addresses and if I run in core switch 2 only a few IP addresses I'm getting but I can able to ping those IP address in both switches and also via VPN 
At present active is core switch one 

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

is this typo or is this what you configured - both the IP looks same ?

HSRP switch 1 is active IP address is 10.44.16.2 and switch 2 IP address is 10.44.16.2  ( this hsould be 10.44.16.3)

do you have high level network diagram and show snippet of the config to look ?

at this stage hard to say where problem resides.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

HSRP switch 1 is active IP address is 10.44.16.2 and switch 2 IP address is 10.44.16.2  ( this should be 10.44.16.3) yes 

And in sh arp | in mac address means for all ip address it's showing same mac-address

Can you post from both the devices :

#show standby brief

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What model are  the core switches ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch 

- Check current software version , preferably use an advisory release, check if that can help.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

We do not have much detail to work with in trying to understand the issue. A good starting place might be to post the config of one of the switches (assuming that both switch configs are very similar we probably only need to see one). It might also be helpful if the results of the tracert were posted.

TTL Expired in transit frequently indicates that there is some routing loop. So it might also be helpful to see the output of show ip route from the switch.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card