cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

USB Console Driver install failing

dervari
Level 1
Level 1

Running Windows 7 64-bit and the USB driver install is failing.  Well, the setup program runs ok and reboots, but when I connect to a USB console, it installs the Console driver ok but fails on "Cisco Virtual Comm Port00".  I've tried this on multiple machines as administrator and still no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

46 Replies 46

Okay, after talking with TAC, here is the deal. The driver you guys are talking about is for Switches and Routers, however not well documented (even by TAC), there is a different driver for the WAAS Appliances.  You need to download the following http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/cart.html?imageGuId=72CBC5140C7132999C3B5FA6DAFA6B0DC1910EC4&i=rs

This will now work for those using this cable to connect to WAAS Appliances. Glad to see I'm not insane!

focused,

thanks for the information.  its helpful to know there is a different driver for WAAS devices.  Thanks!

Thanks Greg.  I think the issue is if you already have other USB to Serial devices (at least I think that was my issue). 

Hey Cisco please fix this issue and don't require us to restart all the time.  That is annoying especially when we are in a pinch trying to configure/troubleshoot equipment.

Worked for me :-)

THANKS

Thank you very muchhh !!!

Hey guys,

I followed all the steps and still with the problem.

I have win 8.1 and when I choose "Cisco Serial" like the last picture this error pops up:

I tried reinstalling the driver but still with the same problem, please what can I do?

This worked for me in Win10 also!!

Why is this not either corrected by the Cisco Installer after all this time? Or not a part of the documentation/troubleshooting documents?!?!?

Thanks Greg!  It worked for me!

To be able to pick the correct "Cisco Serial" driver instead of using the default driver installed by the cisco-usb software made a huge difference.  I thought I had the same problem like everyone else, but my driver install went pretty smoothly with no yellow exclaimation mark.  However, the putty was still unable to connect to the com port.  At the end, it was a simple change to pick "Cisco Serial" instead of USB serial whatever fixed the problem. 

Also thanks to Cisco whoever made this USB console setup more difficult than my typical cisco routing and switching troubleshooting.

Thanks Greg! This worked great for me!

Thanks Greg, it works perfectly well !

My environment is Windows 7 x64 on a domain.  Although I am an administrator on the machine, when I did the install of the "Cisco_usbconsole_driver_3_1" - setup(x64).exe, I did it with a right click and Run As Administrator.

I also had version 3.0 installed (but not working) and did an uninstall first.

Used Greg Bryant's procedure and now have a working console using Tera Term as COM8.

Thanks Greg!

Tanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Greg, this worked great!

Just came across this post after trying to figure out as to why this was failing. Followed your guide and worked perfectly. I have been banging my head on this all day. Thank you for the well detailed information.

Thanks Greg, this worked for me (on a Win 7 Pro 32 bit OS here). 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card